Help! Did I hurt my poor Mobo or Q10 card?

Ptron

Here's my setup:
P4 2.4GHz
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
512Mb PC 2100 RAM
2 WD 40G HDs
Nvidia Gforce 2 video card
Soundblaster Audio PCI card
Aardvark Q10
Windows XP home

A few days ago I removed the Motherboard from computer so I could test my old one before selling it. An unwise move it now seems. I only hooked up power, one stick of memory, and a video card to the old board. Never the hard drives, just enough to get it to post. After re-assembling my new setup, I fired it up and all seemed groovy except that the "Found New Hardware Wizard" popped up for "multi-media controller" and it specifcally says that it's for the Aark 24, 20/20+, or direct pro Q10. I assumed that I had just managed to confuse the computer a bit when I took everything out, so I unistalled the and re-installed the Q10 drivers. Still, the New Hardware Wizard comes up when I resart. I've tried various ways of uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. I've re-downloaded the drivers from Aardvark. I've tried System Restore. I've tried re-seating the card. I've tried moving it to a different slot. Nothing works.

I can open the Q10 control panel. I can even get levels on it. But after a few minutes, I get an "Aardvark.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. After this, the panel doesn't respond and I have to use "end now" to get it to close.

In Device Manager the are four "yellow question mark" devices that windows says drivers are not installed for; Raid Controller-which I don't beleive I ever installed, SM bus Controller-I don't know what that is, USB Controller-??? this is odd because it is listed elswhere in device manager as working properly, and Multi-media Audio Controller. The Multi-media controller is also listed under Sound, Video, and Audio Controllers as "not configured properly".

I'm currently backing up stuff and preparing for a total hard drive re-install but I'm sweating bullets that maybe the motherboard or Aardvark card were somehow damaged. Anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on?

Ptron

Ptron said:
In Device Manager the are four "yellow question mark" devices that windows says drivers are not installed for; Raid Controller-which I don't beleive I ever installed, SM bus Controller-I don't know what that is, USB Controller-??? this is odd because it is listed elswhere in device manager as working properly, and Multi-media Audio Controller. The Multi-media controller is also listed under Sound, Video, and Audio Controllers as "not configured properly".

Ptron [/B]
Some of these items will be on the motherboard CD utilities.
Try re-installing those devices thru the motherboard CD.
Your audio card may need to be reinstalled as well and you will need to remove any entries from the registry and do a clean install.
To get there go to run-type(regedit)
You will need to dig a bit to find files associated with the cards drivers.

My soundblaster card doesn't seem to work either even though XP indicates no problems with it. That means neither of the two things I have plugged into the PCI slots is working right.

Ptron

Ptron said:
My soundblaster card doesn't seem to work either even though XP indicates no problems with it. That means neither of the two things I have plugged into the PCI slots is working right.

Ptron

Try doing a repair install of XP. It sounds like you may have put the cards in different slots than they were previously. The something may be getting confused in the registry.

O.K. I've got all the issues with Found New Hardware Wizard and missing drivers resolved (except for the SM bus thing. I still don't know what that is). However, I still have the problem with the Aardvark panel only working for a few minutes before the "...encountered a problem...needs to close thing" happens. I did do the repair install of windows.

Ptron

All good now!(except I still haven't figured out the SM bus thing, but who cares as long as everything else works) It looks like most of my issues came from the motherborad reverting to it's default settings. It was the hyperthreading that was messing with the Aardvark driver/program. Thanks all!

Ptron

Ptron said:
All good now!(except I still haven't figured out the SM bus thing, but who cares as long as everything else works) It looks like most of my issues came from the motherborad reverting to it's default settings. It was the hyperthreading that was messing with the Aardvark driver/program. Thanks all!

Ptron

so what was the issue? just woke up...heh, excuse... microhack/suck/etc being lame? thanks...

Back