Help!!? DC Offset/Clicks and Pops.

sonicpaint

I'm looking to the forum with this problem that I'm having with my new recording system. I have just upgraded recently to the Digi 002 Rack and have noticed clicks and pops when starting and stopping audio. When I do punch-ins the DC Offset that creates these pops, never ends up making a clean punch in with out me going back and cross-fading it.

It's not such a big deal to some people I guess, but it drives me crazy knowing that there is a DC Offset! I've be been recording for years on my computer before Pro Tools and never had this problem, why now?

Could it be a bad ground in my computer that's causing the
DC offset? Is it just Pro Tools? I'm hoping someone out there can explain to me how I can get rid of this offset and why it happens.

I've done research on the net about it, but haven't been able to find info on why it happens, and how to get rid of it at the source. There is tons of info on how to correct it after the fact (that's a no brain-er) but not correcting it at the source.

I would greatly appreciate any help as to how to get rid of this problem once and for all.

Thanks in advance,
sonicpaint

Don't tell me.....

Are you saying that there is not fixing it? Please don't tell me this.......the clicks and pops drive me nut's. That's bullshit!!!:mad:

I had pop & click issues with my new delta 44 card which seem to have disappeared (God I hope I haven't spoken too soon) now that I've migrated from 98 to XP. No matter how much I tweaked and fiddled, I couldn't eliminate them completely.

I have no idea why they occurred under 98, I'm just glad they seem to have packed up and moved out now that XP is in the house

Re: Don't tell me.....

sonicpaint said:
Are you saying that there is not fixing it? Please don't tell me this.......the clicks and pops drive me nut's. That's bullshit!!!:mad:

the pros have the same problem...

Re: Re: Don't tell me.....

Teacher said:
the pros have the same problem...

:eek: For real??! I can't believe that DigiDesign hasn't fixed this problem! My 002 is still on warranty, I wonder if I can do anything? I wish I would have know this before I bought the damn unit.:mad:

Do other digital units have the same problem? Like the Aardvark, Delta units...etc.:confused:

If anyone has any idea if I can get it fixed I'd appreciate it. I have read some info that stated that the Analogue to digital converters are a fault, can this be true? I thought the Focusrite's were great products? :confused:

Damn I hate having a problem that can't be fixed. Being a new user to Pro Tools, how do you auto cross-fade regions?

Thanks for your help guys!
sonicpaint

Check latency(set it from the Digi module as this is usually the prob), monitor feedback from the card(making sure you are not recording and monitoring at the same time or having a 'scrub' effect) and check yourr cpu drainage(all pcs and macs have this faciulity). If all these fail then it's a problem with the 002, even tho' the damn thing is an external card. Go to their site and read the faqs on known probs and bugs.

what i gathered from PSW...the click and pop sensation is a S/w phenomenon...it occurs when splittin tracks not at there zero crossing...but your punching in problem maybe something else i guess

I've tried adjusting the latency.

I've been to the Digi Design site and have come across many post with people having the same problem. I checked the forums there but I haven't checked the FAQ section though this is the only section of the site I didn't check.

I've also tried those suggestions Zuke and haven't had any success. It's starting to look bleak as to finding an answer to this problem.:confused:

Thanks for all the suggestions.
sonicpaint:(

i use an edirol usb-audio interface on an athlon 4 laptop and i either record in CE, Samplitude or N-tracks (depending on my mood).
every ones in a while i have the same problem you have and no matter how i tweak it doesn't go away.
sometimes when it occurs in CE and i switch to n-tracks it goes away, sometimes changing the buffer sizes helps but not always. changing audio drivers or working with my computers soundcard makes no difference.
now it's been a month without. at times it's there for days.

Sounds like a jitter problem with the AD/DA's. It can occur whan they cannot keep up with the playback/recording(it's all mathematical of course). Usually happens when you start/stop playback as far as I know. That's not much help is it? I'm hardly an expert on this subject.

I've got the 002R and I barely ever have a problem with this.
Not sure if this is related but you said you were using other converters, do you have the clock in Pro Tool set correctly, to the s/pdif or optical in?

Hey Sonic,

Check the PT website for current drivers - I had the problem with my D66 until I grabbed an updated driver.

Good luck. Sorry we didn't get to schmooze at Voxxy's...

Daf

I know what your getting at but...

maddrummer said:
I've got the 002R and I barely ever have a problem with this.
Not sure if this is related but you said you were using other converters, do you have the clock in Pro Tool set correctly, to the s/pdif or optical in?

I know what your getting at about he clock being set properly but I'm not having a sync problem because I'm not using any other digital sources. I do have it set as "internal" I believe it is, even though I'm not needing it.

I called the dealer where I bought my unit and he told me to un-install Pro Tools and reinstall. So I did it and the problem was lessoned but still happens once in a while when stopping or starting. I haven't tried the punch-in test to see if the DC is off but I'm sure that it will be.

The guy told me that it's common practice to cross-fade edits/ regions. Well it's looks like I'm going to have to live with it like everyone else. The guy from the local dealer gave me some tips as to doing these fades/cross-fades between regions faster or in multiples and even "automatic", though I still feel that there's something hardware based that's causing the problem.

What do you guys think?
sonicpaint

Re: I know what your getting at but...

sonicpaint said:
The guy told me that it's common practice to cross-fade edits/ regions. What do you guys think?

I'm with the dealer... Pretty common to have to do fades on region joints... It never concerned me... only takes a few extra seconds...

Until you mentioned it at my house last week, I didn't even know that it was a problem, and it still doesn't bug me... I don't even do fades at most my points and it still doesn't come through in the music.

Don't worry about it... Your over-worrying... Just do some damn recording!:D:D:D

(I'm waiting to hear more of your awesome stuff);)

I think it's pretty strange. I have a Digi 001 with Protools on a mac and never had that problem, and in fact I never used a cross fade. I only have clicks and pops when using gates in extreme settings. I also had them when I recorded my JStation without syncing, and when using ASIO drivers.
It shouldn't do it. Maybe there's some incompatibility with your motherboard, or other component.

I used the Digi site.

Voxvendor I think you might be right about "over worrying"......lol. The reason this is/was a big deal to me was because I never had this problem before when I was using my sound-card and CoolEdit Pro. I know there's a big difference though I'm just really grateful that there is a cure for it!

As far as me recording new songs, I've been doing that. I'm really happy about the way the song is coming out. I'll be sure to pass it on to you for your thoughts on it. Thanks for the complement Vox!!

Cordura21 I don't doubt that you don't have problems and I think that has to do with you being on a Mac maybe one day I will get a Mac. Try this for me if you got the time. Next time you do a punch in or an edit of some sort "solo" the track and play the song through the edit. See if you can hear a pop/click/glitch of any kind when played through the edit or punch-in. This example is getting a bit pickier but I'd be interested to hear what your results were.

I think(and could be wrong) that this problem may just be a Windows thing, or at the least mostly a windows thing.

Post your results,
sonicpaint

Back