help: dbx 166XL vs. 266XL

rboyce_boston

Hi.

I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 channel compressor/gate, and I'm wondering if the dbx 166XL is worth the extra $100 (MSRP) over the 266XL. Or if I should just look for the original "dbx 166" on eBay (and what should I expect to pay)?

If anyone has experiences with any of these units, I'd love to read your opinions. I'll be primarily using the unit for compressing/gate vocals for a live band. Just keep in mind that I'd like to spend no more than $200 a used example of either one. And that I'm upgrading from a Behringer Multicom (that I've determined is only suitable for gating/hard limiting part of the drum kit - yeah, yeah...I know, I know...I've learned my lesson.).

TIA,

ray

I'd say the 166 is slightly less horrible than the 266 and neither are much better than the Behringer. But that's me.

I have a pair of 166's and a 166xl (and 160xt FWIW) but have not used the 266, so can't compare there. I see the XL as being mostly the feature add-ons and flexibility. The 166 'Auto mode and over-easy-only is fair enough useful but that's the one sound you get with it. (notably, it lacks the power of attack/release control.) The two speed gate release I'm not to keen on as gates go. (ok for general muting, not so good on drums for example.)
Since I've not had the B' one either, just asking if a 266 might just be a sideways move?
;)
Wayne

Yes, it's sort of a sideways move (upgrading from the Multicom to one of the dbx units that I mentioned), but 1) I need additional channels of gating/compression, 2) I don't want to buy another Multicom (or Autocom), and 3) I'm willing to pay a little more than what I paid for the Multicom - but not enough to buy 2 RNC's (for example). So...the dbx units seemed to be obvious candidates in my price range. If there are some other 2 channel compressor/gates that are better than either the 166 or 266 variants that I can pick up for under $200 on the used market, I'm all ears, but I didn't think there were many other choices.

Wayne, one other thing you said caught my attention. Is it true you can't adjust the attack and release settings on the original 166? And is that true on the 166XL?

Thanks again,

ray

I have a 266 that I use solely in my guitar rack. Wouldn't dream of using it for vocals. Not highly recommended.

rboyce_boston said:
Wayne, one other thing you said caught my attention. Is it true you can't adjust the attack and release settings on the original 166? And is that true on the 166XL?

Thanks again,

ray

I have the 166XL - you can select an auto mode, or you can adjust the attack/release/threshold. Pretty good compressor, but not my favorite for vocals. I actually much prefer an optical compressor on vocals...or a really good opamp compressor like an LA audio. People here will probably flame me for it, but the Presonus COMP16, while completely auto, has very usable vocal compression settings.

Jay

rboyce_boston said:
Is it true you can't adjust the attack and release settings on the original 166? And is that true on the 166XL?

Thanks again,

ray
Yes, it's over easy auto mode with ratio and threshold, but they still do 'fast and smooth' pretty well.
Wayne
Oops. XL's do it either way.

how about the dbx 1066?

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

One more dbx product question - what about the 1066? Is it a significant improvement over the 166XL?

Thanks again,

ray

I had a 266XL and sold it on Ebay for $150. I then picked up a used 1066 for $175. I like it much better. It has a limiter and better metering and seems to be more transparent. With only $200 as a budget, your better off going used or to buy one RNC now and one later if you have to have two channels. I have a RNC too and it's better on percussion and vocals than the dbx in my opinion.

Regards,
Mountaineer

check out an older behringer composer. nice comp. i actually preferred the 266 to the 166 but the original composer 2100 is kinda supposed to be the same thing as the 166...but i thi nkit smokes it. you can find em for 50 bucks.

i'm looking for one now... :eek:

Mike

I like my 166xl but it doesn't work well for vox. I have had good luck using it on drum machine tracks but not live drummers. I have also used it well on over aggressive bass players. Over easy sux but I don't use that feature. I like the stereo link feature and the unit has its uses. I wouldn't sell mine but I wouldn't buy a second one either.

Back