Help choosing VST drums for SX2

Hot Rats

Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded to SX2 and I'm trying to decide what to do about drums. There seem to be so many VST instruments available for Cubase that a beginner like me can get easily confused.

I have a Yamaha electronic drumkit on which I will be inputting my drum tracks into Cubase. However it doesn't look like I can control which midi note each drumpad is sent on (it doesn't seem to be GM), so I need a drum module on which you can control the midi notes which trigger each pad.

As far as I can see I can either use the NN-XT drum refill in Reason or use a drum VST instrument.

Does anyone have any opinions on a good drum instrument for Cubase? Or would I be better going for the NN-XT refill? My main concern is matching the midi note input on the module to the midi note output on my drumkit.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Ok, I've established that I CAN control which midi note each pad outputs on, so that's not really an issue anymore.

But I'd still like advice on choosing a VST drum instrument. I would be using it for acoustic kits mostly.

Thanks.

Bigsnake00 said:
Will that ns kit work with Cubase LE? How would I go about installing it, is it like a VST instrument

No, but sfz is and you would load the ns_kit soundfont into sfz.

I am running on Mac OSX. I dont think SFZ will work, or even the ns kit. Does anyone know what I need to make it work, if it is possible.
Thanks

NS_Kit will play on Mac. As far as samplers that play SF2 files, the forth coming DR-9 from FXPansion (Replaces DR008 is supposed to be Mac compatible, you should also check out their BFD sampler http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

You could also get a standard sampler such as Native Instruments Kontakt, which will automatically convert NS_Kit (or any other soundfont to its own format).

And MOTU claim the Mach V to be the big-daddy of compatibility.

What about one of the drum kit from hell programs. i am thinking about getting superior. How does it compare to the others suggested?

Back