Help choosing microphones and preamp

Craigory

Hello All,
First let me say that I am very impressed with the depth of knowledge and the willingness to help each other I have found on this forum. I have been reading it for days and decided I needed these peoples opinions on my situtation. I will try to make it short.

I play bass in a band named Wise and Foolish Builders outside of Philly, we have been hanging around for the past four years and have put out two albums, both of which were recorded my myself and the drummer of the band on a Roland 1880 with mainly SM57's and AKG C1000s's (I know they are really popular round here) and a M-Audio DMP (old style, no meters), DBX 166 compesser, and have been mostly happy with the results. Playing and recording are not our main jobs, three of us are teachers and our guitarist is in insurance. The recordings have come across positivley in reviews and from XPN radio which plays them on their local show. But I would like to improve the sound some.

Our music is piano driven songwriter stuff with elements of country, pop, and on occassion, some jungle beats. Our singer has been likened to Tom Yorke though in my opinion the Rufus Wainwright style is as closer. It's very raspy croony and has alot of emphasis on the words.

So my point (sorry so long) is I would to get a vocal setup and and a acoustic guitaranjopiano setup (most piano) for around 1200 - 1400$. Here's equipment I have been throwing around, please any input on these things or anything else will be greatly appreciated.

Rode NTK and M-Audio Tampa for vocals ( I like the idea of the compessor attached)
Pair of Oktava MK012's or Shure Sm-81's (matched or not?) with a DMP3 (my phantom doesn' work anymore) RNP, Grace 101, or something in that realm
I was also tossing around the idea of Oktava ML52 (i heard ribbon mics work well with a croony singer)

I just want a quality setup for mainly vocals and piano.
Thanks in advance I am really looking forward to your input.

There are MP3's of my band on www.wiseandfoolisbuilders.com if that would help or if your are interested.

I use a Rode NTK alot and I love it. I also like the SPc1. On some applications the RODE rox (my voice is one). You need to try these out on the voices you will be recording. Your Mileage will definitely vary

What do you think about just getting recorded in a good pro studio?

With all due respect, that'd improve your recording the most.

You already have a fine rehearsal set-up to be ready for that IMHO.

Chris

P.S. The NTK has some sizzle at the top so other choices may be better
depending on your singer.

Craigory said:
Our music is piano driven songwriter stuff with elements of country, pop, and on occassion, some jungle beats. Our singer has been likened to Tom Yorke though in my opinion the Rufus Wainwright style is as closer. It's very raspy \ croony and has alot of emphasis on the words.

Pair of Oktava MK012's or Shure Sm-81's (matched or not?) with a DMP3 (my phantom doesn' work anymore) RNP, Grace 101, or something in that realm
I was also tossing around the idea of Oktava ML52 (i heard ribbon mics work well with a croony singer)

I'm a huge Radiohead fan but I'd never described Yorke as having emphasis on words. His diction is terrible.

Anyway, Shure says that the SM81s are consistent enough to not need matching. However, Harvey Gerst posted an excellent technique on field matching them, if you have access to a store with a bunch of 'em. Search this board for that post, I forget if it was in his giant thread or not.

I like the SM81s quite a lot on piano. What kind of piano are we talking about? 'Cause the 81s are gonna give you an accurate tone, so if you're talking about honky-tonk on an upright, maybe those 57s aimed at the back of the piano will be an easier way to get that tone. (Sorry I can't get on your site, something about a problem with my Flash plugin)

The 81 is more of the mic you want on a grand with the top opened up in a nice room. It will not sound good at all crammed into the top of an upright.

Back