Help.... can't bounce .......

CellarCat

I have recorded drum tracks on tracks 1 to 4 and want to bounce them down to track 7 and am not having any luck .... I have read and reread the manual and tried this and that , can't figure out what the hell i'm doin wrong... any help would be appreciated....

It's hard to tell what you might have missed over the internet. I haven't done the track bouce yet, so I'm guessing as usual about what you need to do. Have you checked to see if you've set the minidisk to record on 8 tracks? Mini Data disks can be programmed to record on 1, 2, 4 and 8 tracks. If your disk is set to only 4 tracks then track 7 wouldn't be available to record on. See page 27 to check the number of tracks the MD is set to via the Utility button and data dial. I'm not sure if it defaults to 8 automatically when a Data Disk is used. If you can post what the controls are set to, it might be easier to troubleshoot your problem.

Yo Cat in the cellar and Rocker Man:

The MD-8 does NOT DEFAULT to eight tracks. You have to set it.

If you want more recording time, you can use 4 tracks; only 18 minutes when on the 8 track mode.

See manual how to set recording mode; very simple.

Now to bounce tracks, that's another animal. I tried to bounce a couple of times just to see if I could; well, I follow the manual, etc., but all I get is a Asian flashing screen -- NO BOUNCE.

I think it has something to do with setting the In/Out buttons. Well, we'll soon get it right.

Green Hornet

Well, I'll try to take a stab at this one. As the knowlegable Green Hornet mentioned, if you are using a disk for 8 track, it will only be good for 18 minutes of recording. Say you have already used up most of the disk(say you have already a couple 8 track songs on there). I believe the disk is simply running out of room.

Yo Haslands:

You're right. But, when you turn on the Md-8 AND it boots up the disc that is in it, it tells you right off the bat how much time has been used on the disc;

For me, 8 tracks is great; I guess 16 would be better; but, in my limited capacity, I find over-dubbing fills my disc with six or seven tracks. And, just to be acting like a pro, I like to dub in a few drum splashes here and there, a flute here or there, a knick, a knock, a click, and clack, and the final tune is done. Such fun.

Hey, Happy Summer,
I've got to run; Kato is trying to grab the last can of Coors.

Green Hornet

I figured it out ( how to bounce ) , I had the wrong group master volume control turned up , it wasn't sendin the signal.... Are you sure the MD8 doesn't default to 8 tracks Green Hornet ? I will have to check that out next time i fire it up..... I think a person could read that manual i thousand times and find something new in it each time......

Yo Cellar Cat-man:

You're right! Each time I read the manual, well, I almost learn something.

But, pushing the buttons and trying this or that is the key to good recording.

Next thing I want to try when my vocalist comes over is to pipe her right in through my AKG 3000; also, have another mic set up away from her going to another track and just light input; then, when mixing, see what happens with the two track vocal; one main, one out of main. [these are my terms which may mean nothing to most people.]

Enjoy the buttons,
Green Hornet

Back