Help buying a 5 string bass

jpfour23

Hey folks,

I'm a guitarist-wannabe-bassist. :) Actually I just run a studio and often don't have a bassist nearby to lay down some bass tracks. I can play bass fairly well but I need one!

Any suggestions from MusiciansFriend or any online retailer. I need something fairly inexpensive, but that sounds great! I know nothing about this.

If one or two of you really think it's worth forkin out several hundred $$ for a "much better bass" than I'd consider it. I really just don't know where to begin.

I know I want a 5 string though... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

try some cort curbow

I found mine used for 500$can, it plays much better then a lot of cheap basses it even play better than a 1000$ ibanez bass a friend of mine has,

dont go for a cheap bass, it will be a pain in the ass for finger playing.

Dont take any other cort bass then the curbow.

find someone with a bass that could let you play with his for a full day, fingerstyle with it, you will feel if something is wrong with it or not, and will be able to tell if one is better or not when buying, eventho you've never did before. That's what i did and it rules

Reactions: NL5
Hey JP,

First of all, congratulations on the decision to buy yourself a bass. However, if you hope to get any kind of realistic, practical advice on what bass to buy (other than the ol' standby reply, "Just play a bunch of 'em and pick out the one you like), then you'll just have to give us some idea of what kind of bass sound you like, or at least what kind of music you're into.

There's about a million different basses out there, dude. And personally, as for me... Well, let's just say that my own taste in basses is very simple -- I like 'em ALL!!! ;)

Peace,
Brad

Thanks Brad - great advise.

Unfortunately, there aren't many music shops around here that have a good set of basses. I'll try a few out at a store nearby and see what I like.

As far as sound. I like punchy, rock bass! :) When recording, usually my dream sound & goal is to get a fat, punchy sound. I like thick lows, but punchy mids. Doesn't everybody? LOL

Thanks again ppl! Any additional thoughts?

Oh and by the way. I don't have a bass amp. I plan to record DI in one of my mic pres. Probably Avalon 737... tube pre.

jpfour23 said:
When you say, "play better"... what do you mean? Easier? What makes you like it more than others?

THX!!
jp

Generally, when a bass "plays better", it usually means it has good action, that the person likes the neck shape, the scale, etc. But I think it is also something that is less tangible. That is why it is important to try out as many as you can. Sometimes an instrument just feels right, it doesn't get in the way of your music.

Or something like that. :D

jpfour23 said:
Oh and by the way. I don't have a bass amp. I plan to record DI in one of my mic pres. Probably Avalon 737... tube pre.
An Avalon 737? :eek: Well...YEAH, that'll work. ;)

jpfour23 said:
I like punchy, rock bass! When recording, usually my dream sound & goal is to get a fat, punchy sound. I like thick lows, but punchy mids.
I think most of the "fatness" and "punchy-ness" that you are looking for is the sound of a nice compressor doing it's job. If I'm not mistaken the 737 is not only a tube preamp (and a damned nice one at that), but a full featured channel strip, with a compressor built in. In fact, the compressor is a cool, vintage-sounding one (an opto-compressor), as I recall. That will take you a long way right there toward the sound that I think you are looking for. Definitely nothing wrong with your signal chain.

For maximum flexibility, I would suggest a bass such as the Fender Jazz (which is available in a five string) or a MusicMan of some type. The MusicMan will sound much more "modern" but is still a bass that will fit nicely into a lot of different musical contexts. I think their cheaper SUB basses are a nice axe for the money, but if you decide to step up to a regular Stingray, I don't think you'll ever regret the decision. Even if you eventually end up with an entire stable of basses at your disposal, either of these two basses will likely become instruments that get a lot of use. Also consider the Warwick basses for another variation of that modern more "aggressive" bass sound.

Lots of luck with your bass shopping!

Brad

jpfour23 said:
When you say, "play better"... what do you mean? Easier? What makes you like it more than others?

THX!!
jp

yess i mean easier. With a good bass (the way i feel it) you will feel the strings really well, and won't have the sensation your fingers are getting stock between the strings. You won't have to hit hard to make the stings move, and will be more precise. This is why I'm telling you to have a bass for one day if you have the possibility. You will have a point to compare and will know exactly what i mean, even if the bass is cheap or not. This will be your point of reference.

Also, check for the presure you have to push on the string to touch the fretboard. Some basses have the strings set up to 1/2 (and even 3/4) inche from the fretboard, with no trossrods to ajust it, again, pain in the arse. You are a guitar player, you should be able to feel when there is something wrong with the string placement and fretboard. Try that: 7h10p7 6h9p6 in loop on the fifth string of your guitar (not the biggest one, the one under), if you can do it on guitar you can do it on bass, with no precision lost, but your left arm will probably get tired a bit more rapidly.

the fretboard of the curbow is made of some kind of plastic, which slides really easily compared to a lot of other basses.

Just base yourself on the feeling you have on your guitar, this is just what you should have on a bass, but with just a bit more pressure because of the strings gauge.

If you get a cheap bass ( lets say yamaha cheapo models) you will be left with a difficult bass to play, and it will sound horrible. the result will be an instrument used as a decoration more than anything else

As an example, a friend of mine as a cort with the artisan neck. The bass sounds way descent, but i can't suppost playin more than 2 minutes on it because my right hand feels like i'm a total noob. the stings are really hard to play.

Check for the balance of the bass. ask the seller a strap and stand up. Don't hold the bass and see if the neck tries to reach the ground. It's a bit harder to play if you have to hold the neck in place.

Remember this is a one time investment that will last your life long, dont buy a bass 200$less if you're looosing playability. Try to find some used, if you get fed up with it, you will be able to sell it the price you paid.

hope this help!

G&L has a line made in Korea (i think, point being that it comes from outside the US, and is their for cheaper) that really impresses me.

G&L are basically well made fenders.

Awesome. Thank you all for your replies...

Went to the store today to play a little. Nothing really excited me. I played one 5 string... can't remember who it was by, but the neck was really wide. Had to do some major stretching. Touched a couple of the basic Fender basses and the strings felt like they were 9 yards off the fretboard. They didn't have anything I really fell in love with. I sorta enjoyed playing this Ibanez for a little while, but I'm really curious about this Cort bass wannabe mentioned. I didn't see a Fender Jazz bass. Although, I like the price of the Cort.

Anyone else think highly of the Cort? Sorry... I unfortunately have to rely on you all more than on my local music stores. They don't have crap.

Thx,
jp

Hi

I'm also a guitarist who play bass on occasions. I bought an Ibanez SR505. It's an active 5 string bass that is easy to play. It also fits most musical styles. You might want to give it a try.

/Jack Real.

Have you played any Musicman basses? Overall, I like their line the best of all of them. All USA built and high quality. You can get into their low line for $450 or so and it goes to the moon, depending on what you want! Really great used values out there, too. But you'd be hard pressed to find an easier bass to play.

H2H

sile2001 said:
I hate you for posting that site when I'm flat broke :mad:

I know man. I've just decided that I want/need a 5 string with a low B and can't stop drooling over the 2 Fenders they have (that's the sound I like). saving...saving...saving... Much love,
Cuzme

Yeah, I've got a freaking 6 string washburn with active pickups (impulse purchase, very bad idea), and now I want to go back to an old school fender 60's style 4 string P-Bass (obviously) with passive pickups.

wannabecomedeat said:
try some cort curbow

I found mine used for 500$can, it plays much better then a lot of cheap basses it even play better than a 1000$ ibanez bass a friend of mine has,

dont go for a cheap bass, it will be a pain in the ass for finger playing.

Dont take any other cort bass then the curbow.

find someone with a bass that could let you play with his for a full day, fingerstyle with it, you will feel if something is wrong with it or not, and will be able to tell if one is better or not when buying, eventho you've never did before. That's what i did and it rules

Cort Curbow's RULE, I have a 5 string curbow and it is awesome, sounds great, the actives are awesome. I'd get one if I were you, I got mine for 300$ on ebay.

Back