Help...been using Cubase 3.7r2 for years, thinking about upgrading

anppilot1

I've been using Cubase 3.7 for years. Started out with purchasing 3.5, then upgrading with the 3.6 then 3.7 upgrade.

I recently found out that my original 3.5 cd disk is cracked and either trying to find another copy of 3.5, or just upgrading to SX or Protools.

I played around with sx 1.0 for a while and from 3.7 to sx it seems that sx is MUCH more complicated, not that thats a problem, and also the interface seems soooooooo much different...But is different better? I know 3.7 inside and out, forward and backeard.

But I do mostly remixing and programing house, r&b etc... and It's my understand that Protools sux azz for midi. I heard that even Digidesign recomended Reason for doing MIDI.

Dont get me wrong, I will be doing audio, but no more than 32 tracks. I used to own a small for hire studio a few years ago using v3.7 as my main enviroment and had no problem

What do you guys think of me switching to SX or Protools?

And if SX,

1. PC or MAC ?

2. what do you recomend as far as a computer goes.... and I mean specs, AMD, INTEL, RAM, etc. I've always built my own PC.

3. and last, windows xp or 2000 ?

Appreciate any advice.

727jetwrench out.

Being an user of cubase for a while, the transition from VST to SX should not be too bad since most of the basic work flow has not changed that much. As far as PT goes, if your mostly dealing with midi then I would stick to Cubase, even though midi support was "brought back" in 7, its still a far cry from the SX implementation and the tools in SX are really well suited for a midi based studio. Pro tools is pro tools, great for recording and mixing and weak as far as sequencing and programing goes.

1. PC or MAC ?
These days it does not matter. Get a mac pro and run windows on it if you want. Pretty much personal preference, hardware is the same

2. what do you recommend as far as a computer goes.... and I mean specs, AMD, INTEL, RAM, etc. I've always built my own PC.

Right now, the big dog is the intel core 2 duo. They run anywhere from $215-$999 for the chips, get the fastest you can afford with the best memory you can afford. Let me know your budget and I can recommend something

3. and last, windows xp or 2000 ?

xp. 2000 support is drying up quick with most software/hardware and vista is due next year

altitude909, thanks for the reply. Sorry, for not answering sooner, but I went to work for a cpl of hrs.

Anyway, my budget for motherboard, processer, and ram is $500.00. Thats only for those three. I'm not worried about case, hd's ( which I plan on 2 200gb hd. 1 for primary recording, 2nd for backup)

I was thinking of this tell me what u think:

1. Chip/MB = 2GHZ P4
2. 2GB DDR RAM
3. 1 x 80 GB For OS/Apps
4. 2 x 200 GB for primary audio files / back up files
5. DVD Burner
6. Floppy (I know, ppl still use them though)
7. 15 in 1 card reader
8. wireless keyboard & mouse

Peace

OK, for $500 heres what I would buy (Newegg.com)

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 134$

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 $264

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 $92.00

Bear in mind that PATA is pretty much done so most ICH8 based boards only have one PATA connector and everything else is SATA

Also bear in mind that newer mainboard (like the one I have listed) need an ATX2 compliant power supply

So, since i'm a bit behind on pc building, what processor speed is that?

And, only 1gb of ram is enough?

Will that be enough for 32 tracks at once, plus at least 40 midi tracks?

peace

You can try Cubase VST for free before you decide to buy everything since it is now freeware! Steinberg has put the full version of the latest Cubase VST on their FTS, which you can find at ftp://ftp.steinberg.net

So, since i'm a bit behind on pc building, what processor speed is that?

And, only 1gb of ram is enough?

Will that be enough for 32 tracks at once, plus at least 40 midi tracks?

more than enough.

it's 2.13 gHz. Bear in mind that that has no relevance in todays world and that processor outperforms everything out right now other than other core 2 duo's

Here is a toms hardware write ups:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/02/thg_tuning_test/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

Back