Help balance monitors with sub

starch

I recently purchased a subwoofer to put in my mixing room. I am mixing through Event 20/20's and felt I was unable to hear the frequencies below about 60hz. I run the audio output through an EQ then into the sub (self powered) with the crossover set to 100hz then into the monitor amp and out to the monitors. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance the sub with the monitors so I know I am hearing the proper amount of bass material? Or do I just need to play and make a guess? Would an SPL meter help, or is there some kind of software coupled with mics that can help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your Events should handle faithfully and flatly to about 75 or 80 hz, not what the specs say, and assuming your room is tuned. I would crossover at 80 hz in your situation, and be delicate, strange coming from a bass player, but I have had my pitfalls on low end, starting with monitors less than 6 inches away from a wall.
Jason

Thanks for the replies. Bluesky, I think the info and files on the site will be exactly what I need to get me in the ballpark. I will need to get an SPL meter (I was waiting to make sure it was what I needed before I bought one). I was also hoping to figure out a little better what was going on in my mixing room as far as modes, standing waves etc. I figured if I could at least meter the listening position I would have a better idea of what I am hearing. I do have a significant amount of treatment in the room, and the monitors at least 3' from any wall. I should be close.

Thanks so much for the help!

Back