Help ASAP..Mic selection for guitar (detailed)

TheNewUnknown

Don't be a Pro Tool.
Hey, I realize that the Sm57 is "standard" for most guitars but I'm just not getting a great sound out of it - i'm getting way too much high end. I have the mic positioned slightly off axis with the speaker cone and aimed directly at the center of the speaker (it's a 4x10 guitar cab). The cab sounds good in the room it's just not translating well thru the mic.
I also spent quite a bit of time tweaking the cab to get it sounding as good as possible.
I have the mic plugged into my digi002 rack for the mic pre.
I added an Audix d2 on another speaker and got a better sound but still not great.
Any suggestions?
The mics I have are: sm57 x2, audix d2, audix d4, audix d6, senn. md421, at4040 and the studio projects c4's x2.
Any help is appreciated.

The closer to center you point the mic, the more high end you will get.

You don't really need to go off axis either. Put the 57 about an inch away, about 3/4 between the outer edge and the center. The farther out you go, the more body you'll get.

If you use more than one mic, it might be beneficial to have the second one off-axis though, and sum them to taste (you may also need to flip the phase on the second mic).

TheNewUnknown said:
Hey, I realize that the Sm57 is "standard" for most guitars but I'm just not getting a great sound out of it - i'm getting way too much high end. I have the mic positioned slightly off axis with the speaker cone and aimed directly at the center of the speaker (it's a 4x10 guitar cab). The cab sounds good in the room it's just not translating well thru the mic.
I also spent quite a bit of time tweaking the cab to get it sounding as good as possible.
I have the mic plugged into my digi002 rack for the mic pre.
I added an Audix d2 on another speaker and got a better sound but still not great.
Any suggestions?
The mics I have are: sm57 x2, audix d2, audix d4, audix d6, senn. md421, at4040 and the studio projects c4's x2.
Any help is appreciated.

Try an MD421 at the grill, on-axis but slightly to one side of the cone. Try the at4040 at the same spot but about half a meter to a meter from the speaker and mix to taste.

Back