Help, any theory what this is?

Clive Hugh

My Fender "The Twin" has developed a fairly loud noise, the nearest I can describe it is like roaring surf or waves crashing on a reef. I live 2000 km from the nearest repair outfit and have a gig on next Saturday. Any ideas? I will get it overhauled but getting it there is a drama in itself. It would seem to be in the reverb circuit, unplugging the tank eliminated the worst of it but there is still some surf there. I'm buggered if I know.

Clive Hugh said:
I live 2000 km from the nearest repair outfit and have a gig on next Saturday. Any ideas?

2000 k from the nearest repair shop? where you at? the desert?

:D :D :D

Last edited:
Pull the reverb tube(s), I think it's V8 & 9 on those? See if that cures it. If so, replace it or leave it out for your gig.

That noise can also be a failing resistor or cap, though they tend to have more of a "snap, crackle, pop" type thing. Check the return side first.

quick answer would be tubes..... i think that would be the pre tubes no? - guess it depends on when you hear the noise.... higher volume equals more noise prob pre... noise most of the time prolly power..

i barely know what im talking about so gl

I would say it probably the Reverb tubes. But best bet is the suck it up and get t othe repair shop asap. And dont risk messing it up more for your gig!

Clive Hugh said:
Yep, right smack in the middle of it.

ehrrrrrr ... ok.

yeah, i would also say just don't use the verb and keep your fingers crossed 'till you can haul it to a repair shop.

I've had the same prob with a twin before.It was a tube issue.If I were
you I would take some time and learn to work on your amp,cause 2000
miles is a long way to get service.
I would try pulling the reverb tubes,and see if that will stop the prob.

SHEPPARDB. said:
I've had the same prob with a twin before.It was a tube issue.If I were
you I would take some time and learn to work on your amp,cause 2000
miles is a long way to get service.
I would try pulling the reverb tubes,and see if that will stop the prob.
The tubes are fairly new, not that it means much. But I don't know enough about amps to know which ones are the reverb tubes so I will leave it till I can take it to Perth with me. I have to drive down in October as my daughter is getting married down south so I will combine the trip. I have 2 of them so it's not a total disaster, I had kinda hoped it was a glaringly obvious thing that was quick and easy to fix.
Thanks guys.
Clive

Clive,

Where the fuck are you in WA?

It mightn't hurt to track down the Fender Forums (not actually associated with Fender) but from memory can be found/linked to, through Fender's "Mr Gearhead" section on their website. You may also find tech info that will help you identify which tubes are which.

:cool:

ausrock said:
Clive,

Where the fuck are you in WA?

It mightn't hurt to track down the Fender Forums (not actually associated with Fender) but from memory can be found/linked to, through Fender's "Mr Gearhead" section on their website. You may also find tech info that will help you identify which tubes are which.

Ausrock,
Port Hedland, I'll take a look. Thanks for that. Where are you?

Clive Hugh said:
The tubes are fairly new, not that it means much. But I don't know enough about amps to know which ones are the reverb tubes so I will leave it till I can take it to Perth with me.
Clive

They may be listed on the tube chart, if the amp has one. It should be inside the cabinet somewhere, usually on the side.

Checking the preamp/verb tubes is pretty easy. Turn the thing on, and tap them with a pencil. The bad one will likely get noisier when you hit it. If that doesn't work, start pulling them, starting with the one on the side closest to the input jacks and working across the amp. Tubes are generally laid out in the order that signal flows through the amp, and so when you pull them one at a time, you are working from input jack to output section, unplugging sections in order. Reverb and driver tubes are often away from the other preamp tubes, do the preamp tubes first.

When the noise goes away, you have found the bad tube or bad section of the amp. Replace the suspect tube with a good one, like one of the ones you just pulled, or an old one that you may have replaced even if it wasn't noisy. That will tell you if the problem is the tube or not.

Clive,

N'cle/Hunter Valley here. If the wife has her way we'll be making a visit to Broome in the next year or so..................not holding my breath but you never know.

ausrock said:
Clive,

N'cle/Hunter Valley here. If the wife has her way we'll be making a visit to Broome in the next year or so..................not holding my breath but you never know.

Ausrock,
Broome is the next town north of here, it's a 6 hour drive, we go there a couple of times a year. Your best bet is with Virgin, their fares are the cheapest, from the east coast they are cheaper than we can get to Perth.
Make sure you go in the winter as it's fucking humid as well as hot in summer.
Plus the box jellyfish are not in the ocean then. But it's a nice place for a stay.

Back