Help! All thoughts welcome on possible file damage

tollbooth

hi guys, this is a bit of a rehash of a post in computers, but i think i may have posted in the wrong area, but i'm a bit desparate for thoughts and opinions on this as i'm slap in the midle of sessions!!!

quick bit of advice - i had one of those dreaded moments earlier - my file (being run on G5/OSX - digital prformer 4 - netdrive FW external drive running) that i was working on locked up. i forced DP to quit (using force quit) and on reopening the file there was an EVIL scratchy digital not very nice for your speakers sound and the file doesn't play properly.

i guess the file has corrupted and i've DVD backed up the rest of the drive just now - simple question though - is this a common way for files to sound if they corrupt?
is this common?
is it likely/usual to have taken any other files out with it, or will it just be the one i had open?

could someone just make me feel a bit better - even just to go 'there there - it happened to me only last week/month/year'?

thanks guys - any thoughts hugely apreciated.

i dont know if this will help you.
assuming we are talking about a proper sound file. try opening it
in an audio editor that lets you zoom in .
it sounds to me like a digital "spike" at the start of the file that somehow got there. only happened to me once. but i used zero crossings option in an editor, and used the silence option after hiliting the silence area.
if i'm correct the file might be rescuable with some tweeaking.

tollbooth said:
is this a common way for files to sound if they corrupt?
is this common?
is it likely/usual to have taken any other files out with it, or will it just be the one i had open?

When files get screwed up anything can happen. You're going to have to listen to each one and see if anything is salvagable.

file nightmares

thanks guys

like the stupidly dedicated engineer i am, i took a backup copy from the day before and reworked it back to where the version had been just before it crapped out.

the sunrise was beautiful!

sometimes it's the only way. by the time the client cam in the next morning, not only had a i restored and improved the file, i'd done two dance remixes as well!

what is it about us as a breed?? why do we do this?

i just abandoned the corrupted file in the end and DP has been rock solid again since. i was really surprised and i don't really blame DP - it's the first bad file i've had in 6 years with DP.

thanks for the help though guys - much appreciated

paul

Back