Help Again, I'm Lost As Usual

Sinistah

Plutonium Bundle Advocate
back again with another question regarding SPDIF Cables....

i'm not sure of anything regarding these besides they look like they can shoot a laser-beam, actually its a light beam, but anyways.........

are there any types of variations for this, such as a 1/4 male to SPDIF end or like an XLR to SPDIF connection or do you need some type of converting adapter for doing these types of set-ups?

just wondering cause i think the usage of SPDIF would greatly help me with word-clocking for my A/D converter but really just unsure and out of the loop of SPDIF type things in general...

edit: nevermind, still half-baked from last night, i found a few different variations...

back again with another question regarding SPDIF Cables....

i'm not sure of anything regarding these besides they look like they can shoot a laser-beam, actually its a light beam, but anyways.........

are there any types of variations for this, such as a 1/4 male to SPDIF end or like an XLR to SPDIF connection or do you need some type of converting adapter for doing these types of set-ups?

just wondering cause i think the usage of SPDIF would greatly help me with word-clocking for my A/D converter but really just unsure and out of the loop of SPDIF type things in general...

edit: nevermind, still half-baked from last night, i found a few different variations...

You will get more help if you make your title descriptive of the problem. something like: Need Help - Understanding and connecting SPDIF

Most people connect spdif direct to a soundcard. You would need a d/a converter to turn it in to a conventional signal. Your clocking would be lost at that point, so there would really be no point that I know of.

What is your normal interface/soundcard?

Are you using a computer, tape, adat, etc?

F.S.

spdif can be sent through 2 different systems... one uses the light pipe like the adat interface... the other uses coax cable on rca connectors... if you go with the rca's dont use cheap audio cables... at the VERY LEAST use a video dubbing cable...

You will get more help if you make your title descriptive of the problem. something like: Need Help - Understanding and connecting SPDIF
sorry, i'm just a newb looking for treasure at the end of a mud-storm.... but nah actually i didn't find a way to edit the thread, so i'm outta luck

Last edited:
Most people connect spdif direct to a soundcard. You would need a d/a converter to turn it in to a conventional signal. Your clocking would be lost at that point, so there would really be no point that I know of.

What is your normal interface/soundcard?

Are you using a computer, tape, adat, etc?

F.S.
my PC soundcard i'll assume is a soundblaster, but i use my Soundcard in my Presonus Eureka i 4got the specific name of the card
(i think its an A/D 1200), it usually comes with the channel-strip but it's an A/D card/converter that connects inside the Eureka....

so nah i ain't usin no tape or adat, i havent spliced nothin since 1996 in my introduction to audio productions course in community college, lmaoo!

spdif can be sent through 2 different systems... one uses the light pipe like the adat interface... the other uses coax cable on rca connectors... if you go with the rca's dont use cheap audio cables... at the VERY LEAST use a video dubbing cable...
yeah i know about the two types, i'd prefer the RCA way personally, is there any benefits from using the light-based connector, or should i just stick to the RCA being that it's comming from my channel-strip and going back into the computer....

my present XLR to RCA connection works fine by using my A/D converter going from my strip to the PC, but sometimes i just feel like something is missing in my connection, maybe at times i can just be a perfectionist to a harmful extent... but i'd really like to explore the differences of connection types.....

any specific brand of coax cable recommendations for me to look into...

in rare cases the rca type can develope noises but not often... so in that case the optical is better because it decouples everything electronic... but again it's no big deal... fwiw i use the rca type when hooking my dbx385 to my fw1884.... as to which coax... cant say i have a preference... the one i have is a (laughably)high-end monster that a rep gave me when i was working retail...

Back