Help a noob?

ghostred7

I'm still struggling with getting a decent sound in our tight rehearsal space. This is the latest and the best I can do with my craptacular headphones. Please listen and let me know what the shortcomings are mix-wise. This was recorded while in a closed room with a lot of loud.

Setup as follows..

Drums:
MXL pencil overhead (991?)
MXL pencil on snare/hi-hat (wish I'd of had a SM57 or similar)
Shure Beta 52A on kick

Guitar1:
Line6 amp, SM57

Guitar2 (me):
Line6 MkIV HD100 direct in + impulses

Bass:
direct-in + impulses

Vox:
Feed from board

or
View attachment hdvr_sample.mp3

Thanks in advance.

PS: I can put each individual track out somewhere in the raw if someone wants to hear what I had to deal with

What do you want to do with your recordings? Is it just to hear how you sound or do you have higher ambitions?

Frankly, given the constraints you mention, it doesn't sound too bad--and it's probably not TOO bad a representation of how you sound to others.

However, the biggest problem I can hear is oodles of mushy spill--and the only way to fix that is to control the levels in your small room. Turn it all down--or get a bigger room with screens--or use the above as a guide track and record each individual part again separately. I don't think there's a technology solution to this one.

If you recorded this in one go as a live band recording, it doesn't sound too bad at all. I am inclined to agree with Bobbsy on a multitrack recording with each instrument recorded separately. But as a demo CD for prospective gigs, I thought it wasn't a bad job at all. Sounds live with all the nuances of any place you are likely to play.

Thx for the quick feedback!!! This is definitely a 1-take/"live" type of scenario. Really at this point it's more for my personal practice, but once we get our songs more polished...may be used as a live demo. I **DO** want to actually record part-by-part properly at some point.

Ya...there is tons of "mushy spill". I do think after listening to the 2 MXL feeds (overhead & snare/hat), that's where most of the spill is coming from. I'm hoping that replacing the MXL on the snare/hat with the 57 will eliminate some of that.

This is what it sounded like raw.
">

Even from what I hear in Nashville, you're not a noob. If you want it to sound like a studio recording, in that space, you'll have to dry the room and teach the band to play separately... sometimes hard to do without losing the groove, but worth the effort.

This sounds pretty good for a live rehearsal room. I'd have actually expected more spill on the drum kit than you had. As the guys said above I don't know if you could get it much better without some turning it down, using some sort of baffling or recording each track seperately. Sounded pretty good overall.

Back