Hello, I am a Noob (Hip Hop Vocals)

The Word Man

Peace and Love to all. Yes I am a Noob... Please do not rip me too bad... I am a Hip Hop artist who has been recording music for over 20 years now... I have been spoiled and yes lazy too, because I have had an excellent recording engineer all these years... It's getting harder to get in to the studio with my engineer so it's time for me to learn how to record myself... YES, I should've paid more attention to the equipment and techniques used all these years, but I did not... I know he used a Neumann U 87 MIC, a MacBook Pro laptop and Digital Performer to record... not sure what interface he used... so now I need some recommendations on mics, and interfaces, recording programs or any other helpful equipment I may need... my budget is between $1,000 - $2,000... I am recording vocals only... I have a small shed I will be using... I can treat the walls fairly easily... I saw a post here by a newbie who was planning on purchasing a Neumann U 87 and man did he get ripped... I was not planning on purchasing a U 87 myself... I saw people saying there were plenty of cheaper mics that would work just as well... however I didn't see them post any alternatives... thoughts? Any suggestions regarding an affordable mic, keeping my budget in mind, would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance... let the ripping begin! ... Peace

P.S. you can listen to the album my engineer recorded, mixed and mastered here just to reference what I've been working with...

Welcome Word Man!
Listened to the first two tracks.
Your budget is big enough. You don't need the most expensive mics. Just spend enough.
Even modest interfaces are very good.
My experience is just with Rode NT1A and K2 mics, and they are very respectable, for not too much $.

Welcome man!

I have done a bunch of hip hop/rap recording here in my studio. You are likely most importantly needing to focus on clear, recorded vocals on top of pre produced beats I assume? If so then below would be my personal suggestions for ya. Just my opinions. There will be many others with different ideas.

High end laptop or better, a well built PC tower. You can get more bang for buck with a PC. I'd say min of 16GB ram with SSD C: drive that runs your software. You will want to record to a hard drive separate from your C drive. You will have a bottleneck using the same drive and your performance will suffer. Video card is less of a worry recording audio, so a PC built for gaming may be way overkill. All you need is a fast processor, two drives and lots of ram for recording/production/effects.
-oh, and having two video monitors makes life in the DAW world way more efficient! I have three. Well, 6 including the two for my office PC, 3 for the DAW and one for the security system. I'm a real estate whore tho... lol

For your particular voice in a likely less than ideal space, I would recommend a Shure SM7B. Keep in mind a 'Cloud Lifter' may be needed to get decent gain from the mic. Klark Teknik CM-1 works fine on the cheap. Shure also now makes a SM7dB that has a preamp built in. Haven't used that version myself but reviews are good. You are more likely to find an SM7B used and get the CM-1 for less than the new version. Just a thought...

Maybe a Steinberg UR22 interface. I have two of the UR824's that have been super dependable for like a decade., The drivers are solid, and the preamps are quiet and high gain. Plus the UR22 comes with Cubase AI. That should be enough DAW for you to get started and see if you like it. Plus you would have me to contact directly to get you going. (y)

Decent quality closed back headphones for tracking. Maybe open back for mixing. I use Sony MDR 7506 for tracking. I don't mix on headphones so don't have a suggestion there.

Good monitors are best to mix with in a well treated and ideal space, but depending on the room they are in, they can be tough to work with. Even in my well treated control room and ADAM A7x's, due to room modes, I have like no 80hz in my space due to a 'null' in frequency response. Subwoofer and countless hours 'learning' my monitors in here allow me to compensate correctly.

DAW software will be what works best for yourself. You will just have to try them and see. I use Cubase myself. You may only need the basic Cubase that comes with the UR22. Reaper seems popular and inexpensive. Studio One is quite similar to Cubase.

Most plugins (effects) supplied with a DAW will be sufficient to start out - until you know enough to know what else you need. Even after countless years of recording bands, I still use much of the included with DAW effects. Though there are boutique specialty plugs that I just can't live without now.
I would recommend for you 'Howard Benson Vocals' plugin. It will give you all of the basic vocal processing in one GUI that can get you started. Hell, I use it all the time. The reverb is kind of weak though. It has compression, saturation, de-essing, eq, doubler, widener, delay, reverb, limiter, lofi, all in your face to play with. Also a butt-load of presets to give you ideas and approaches. Compression and a bit of plate reverb is a good starting point for hip hop vocals. You want most of your lines up front/in your face. Don't get carried away with verbs man.

I would use as much as you can of your budget on room treatment. In a shed, you are going to have a hard time with 'isolation'. Best just dealing with sound that comes in and out. The SM7B will help with not hearing birds chirping from 2 blocks away like a condenser mic will get you. Your biggest issue in a small space is going to be room modes. You are at their mercy. Bass trapping in corners will help, but you will never get it perfect... More important to deal with immediately is first reflection points and flutter echos. This can be helped with DIY or purchased rockwool panels. 4" thick is your best bet. Just say no to any foam product - Expensive and only work on high frequencies. In corners some use 6" rockwool panels or superchunks, but actually stacking rolls of pink stuff in corners is actually more efficient at trapping low end. It just depends upon how much space you have to work with. You are basically just chasing your tail treating low end in a 12'x12'x8' room...

What size and what type of construction is your shed?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

Keep asking questions and you'll get a lot of good advice. The advice thus far is about what to invest as to hardware. I'll take the other end.

You said it is time for you to start learning. Here is my advice. Start with Michael White's Fundamentals of Mixing Course It is only $5 and is an excellent starting point.

Once you decide on DAW software, check out some of the Udemy courses. They have sales like every other week and courses can be had for less than $15. I've taken a bunch for everthing from Cubase and Ableton Live to Photoshop, Lightroom and even IT Cert courses.

Learning this craft is not so much a money investment but rather one of time. I'm a big fan of learning the fundamentals. Then you'll be able to approach recording with much more confidence.

Last edited:
. thoughts? Any suggestions regarding an affordable mic, keeping my budget in mind, would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance... let the ripping begin! ... Peace
Apple Mac Mini with M1 Chip with 8-Core CPU (16GB, 1TB SSD)
Logic Pro
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Used
MXL 990 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Used
Adam Audio T7V Used

Generally that system would do anything you want. Of course you have to add a Monitor.

P.S. you can listen to the album my engineer recorded, mixed and mastered here just to reference what I've been working with...

The Mixes are pretty clean for Rap -

Given the OP's proposed recording site I too would suggest a dynamic such as the SM58 but if he is set upon a capacitor there are two very interesting LDCs reviewed in the current issue of Sound on Sound magazine.
The Rode NT1 Signature. For £159 you get an excellent mic plus a shock mount, pop screen and XLR cable.

The other mic is more expensive at £299 the Gauge EMC-87 Virtual MicLocker Kit. Again a solid LDC but with software that can EQ it to mimic other microphones including the lusted for U87!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Focusrite 2i2. If I were Focusrite I would be talking to my lawyers about the 'self appointed' Dr.

Dave.

Peace and Love to all. Yes I am a Noob... Please do not rip me too bad... I am a Hip Hop artist who has been recording music for over 20 years now... I have been spoiled and yes lazy too, because I have had an excellent recording engineer all these years... It's getting harder to get in to the studio with my engineer so it's time for me to learn how to record myself... YES, I should've paid more attention to the equipment and techniques used all these years, but I did not... I know he used a Neumann U 87 MIC, a MacBook Pro laptop and Digital Performer to record... not sure what interface he used... so now I need some recommendations on mics, and interfaces, recording programs or any other helpful equipment I may need... my budget is between $1,000 - $2,000... I am recording vocals only... I have a small shed I will be using... I can treat the walls fairly easily... I saw a post here by a newbie who was planning on purchasing a Neumann U 87 and man did he get ripped... I was not planning on purchasing a U 87 myself... I saw people saying there were plenty of cheaper mics that would work just as well... however I didn't see them post any alternatives... thoughts? Any suggestions regarding an affordable mic, keeping my budget in mind, would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance... let the ripping begin! ... Peace

Ok, currently, I would suggest a Avid MBOX Studio USB-C Audio Interface (currently comes with Protools perpectual liscense) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBOXStudio--avid-mbox-studio-usb-c-audio-interface
Slate Digital VMS ML-1 (with or without purchasing the U87 DSP profiles) : https://www.sweetwater.com/c105--Co...ing-microphone-matte-black&catrollup=2/23/105

Other things:
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506--sony-mdr-7506-closed-back-professional-headphones
A real boom stand: Ultimate Support MC-125 : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...125-professional-studio-boom-microphone-stand
some good monitors: Yamaha HS8 : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS8pr--yamaha-hs8-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor-pair-black

edit: BTW, the MDR-7506 translates well if you want to mix with them too. But remember to take 15 minute breaks every 30 minutes or suffer hearing loss like most do when they mix with headphones for a long period of time.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Focusrite 2i2. If I were Focusrite I would be talking to my lawyers about the 'self appointed' Dr.

Dave.
clarette series is the only decent usb interface Focusrite has to begin with. But lacks a well rounded software package so I wouldn't recommend it to someone starting out.

Now I will go back to ignoring you Ecc83/Dave. Go figure out your mixer that you need to learn the concept of routing.

Dave.
So excessive noise when pushed is a feature not a bug? What is the old legal expression, the truth is an absolute defense? It's an opinion. I'll add, one that is common.

Is the Scarlett series adequate? Maybe. If you are going to use one, a Klark Technik CM-1 mic booster is a necessity if using low output dynamics. Noise floor tests between Cloud Lifter and the Klark Techinik has them really close in performance and will net you less noise than if you push the Scarlett. Either gets you 25db of gain adding little to the noise floor. The tests I've seen for the Klark is about 1db which would be less than the Scarlett when pushed. The CloudLifter is in the same ballpark.

You'll find me somewhere in between on Focusrite. I say this as an old school Focusrite fan. Short of RedNet, there is nothing in the line that appeals to me. In most cases, there are better options.

Here is an old studio I worked at and built. Not much Focusrite in the racks. :-) They sell tons of the cheap Scarlett series but the performance doesn't match the reputation Focusrite had.

Studio001.jpg

Is the Scarlett series adequate? Maybe
The Clarette is at least a standard circuit used for mic preamps compared to the scarlette. Its circuit is similar to their red preamp. Even though the best mic pre for dynamic mics is going to be a DC coupled mic preamp. Which no one has an interface like that (yet).

Back