Hello from Montreal

TBOF

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to thank you for this forum. I'm already felling like I'll be spending many hours here reading left and right. So many things to learn.

My name is Ben and I live in Montreal, Canada. I've been playing guitar (on and off) for a few years now. I'm self taught so I lack knowledge when it comes to musical production. Nowadays I mostly play bass in an amateur band with some guys I met at work. But I still play electric guitar once in a while just to keep up. I also own a workstation but I'm really not a good keyboard player. I'll jump on the keyboard once in a while when I jam with my band just for fun. We try to record our jams but we get a lot of distortion in our mixes. We use a JamHub for our jam sessions (we only play with pedalboards and our drummer plays an electronic drum monitored through headphones via the JamHub). Our drummer will hookup his computer to JamHub for the master. Our first jams were pretty nasty soundwise but we've improved our sound with the purchase of new gear (no more amps, only pedalboards - I play through a VT Bass pedal hooked to a Voxtonelab and a few pedals).

I also recently bought a BOSS BR-800 digital recorder for putting songs together, mainly for my personal musical projects. I'm having a lot of trouble when it comes to getting my songs to sound right, i think. :( So this forum will really be usefull. I'll try posting songs with specific questions later on. In the meantime, if you're interested, you can check our band "FreeJam" on ReverbNation and my personal project "The Best Of Fools" on ReverbNation as well and on Soundclick.com. Our music isn't for sale, only for sharing. :)

Ben

Hello Montreal! My niece (and "nephew in law" if there's such a thing) have a gigging band there but I'm just a bit far away to help them record.

Keep at it and practicing. FYI distortion is very often a result of the levels getting too high somewhere in the chain...that's a first thing to look at.

The Boss recorder is a great 'starting point' for recording. You'll want to hook up a couple of microphones to it to record live music, rather than using the built-in mics. If you are getting too much distortion from the Jamhub, have everyone dial back their volume AND their gain/distortion. Distortion goes a long way (too much) when recording.

Last edited:
Hello! and welcome to the forum

If you're looking for some info on recording and production then this thread is a really good reference for the basics that you really need to know inside out. Beyond that, there is a really good chunk of advice and help available in the forums, particularly the MP3 clinic which is an easy way to get some honest feedback and suggestions for your mixes. You might also try cobaltaudio.com which I write for and is mostly articles about recording techniques, equipment reviews, complete recording sessions etc.

The more questions you ask, the more help (and only occasionally abuse) you'll get ;)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Also, thanks to cobaltaudio for the links to the great article. Very usefull indeed.
Later

Alberta has some beautiful areas (even if they do get snow in September!)

banffbowriver.jpg

Montreal is nice too (went to school/partied there for 3 years).

mtl-mountview1.jpg

Back