Hello from a new member - Heavy Duty mic stands.... suggestions please?

pundit

G'day from Downunder.

I was looking around for some extra heavy duty mic stands to mount my LD condensers with the boom fully extended. Most of the stands I've seen are too light weight in the base. I recently saw some large imported fans mounted on a large cast iron pedastal stands... about 10-15kgs in weight. I'm thinking of getting a couple of these and retro fitting them with boom arms.

Before I go ahead does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Comming from a photography backround, I think larger light stands with booms would work great. You may even find some used. The ends usually come with a 3/8-16 thread adapter standard.

Check On Stage SB96 PLUS- about $80 at Guitar Center. Sometimes its huge base can be a pain, they ought to call it bigfoot, but it pretty much *doesn't* tip over.-Richie

Checkout the Atlas MS25 floor stand and Atlas SB36W stand w/boom.

pundit said:
G'day from Downunder.

I was looking around for some extra heavy duty mic stands to mount my LD condensers with the boom fully extended. Most of the stands I've seen are too light weight in the base. I recently saw some large imported fans mounted on a large cast iron pedastal stands... about 10-15kgs in weight. I'm thinking of getting a couple of these and retro fitting them with boom arms.

Before I go ahead does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

I can definitely recommend the QuikLok that Track Rat posted. Street price is more like $130. I've put some mighty heavy (and expensive) mics up on 'em in some very challanging situations. They are rock-solid stable.

Scott

http://www.atlas-soundolier.com/mpGroups/mpg11.cfm

You’re looking for the Atlas MS-25, under mic floor stands. I don't know exactly where you would go to buy it, down there, but Atlas should be available from any music retailer. All of my non-tripod stands are Atlas. I use them with K&M boom arms (the short ones). Atlas makes much better stands than most of what you see out there these days, and the prices are very reasonable (of course, I get them wholesale). Check out the stands on stage with the big tours, or in the big studios. They are using Atlas. They last for ever. The only thing I don't like is there boom arms, but mostly that is the counterweights. I am more than a bit neurotic about mic stands.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back