Hello everyone.

DrDos40

My name is D. Jay Thompson. I was involved in sound but it was over 40 years ago, remember when we all wanted to be rock stars? Well I'm retired now and even though I studied for while at Headen West studios in Shamburg ILL. that was 40 years ago and my memory is not as sharp as it was. So, now I've decided to have the studio which I have cobbled together and now I'm going to run my Soundcraft Spirit Monitor 2 into a focusrite 2i2 and then into my Cubase DAW. As a result of this and since I am less than formerly acquainted with DAW's in general I will be asking some questions now and then on how to make things work. Fortunately, I know an xlr jack from a 1/4" jack and have run analog boards for bands in the past and have some idea of what's going on. I just want to grab my guitar, bass, piano, and drums and have some fun putting down tracks. If it matters to anyone I am using a yamaha G100-212 III with 412 bottom, Yamaha DGX 505 portable grand piano, Fender rumble 100 from 1990, Tama drum set, and 2 cheap basswood guitars that I refurbished into something like Kiesel Guitars. I'm not rich so I had to go cheap to make this room happen and I am sure you all will help me. Thanks again for your time I really appreciate it.IMG_0852.JPG

Hey D, sounds like you have enough gear to be dangerous 8-) (y) (y)

Have fun and let us know how we can help.

Mark

Thanks all, I appreciate it. So Mick, I have sound Peavey SP2a's but they just took up to much room so, because I am near broke I picked up a set of Radio Shack 06a11's
which are less in weight and more boxy in size. They have 15's in them and tweeters plus so probably gonna be too loud for this 9 x 15 room but then I should be able to keep the volume down thus making them sound better than if I were blasting them. I'm not going to show off to the neighbors. I may upgrade later when I save some money. I'm still putting the room together. Well, thanks for the welcomes I already have a post to hook up my reverb pan I made. Cheers!IMG_0853.JPG

My name is D. Jay Thompson. I was involved in sound but it was over 40 years ago, remember when we all wanted to be rock stars? Well I'm retired now and even though I studied for while at Headen West studios in Shamburg ILL. that was 40 years ago and my memory is not as sharp as it was. So, now I've decided to have the studio which I have cobbled together and now I'm going to run my Soundcraft Spirit Monitor 2 into a focusrite 2i2 and then into my Cubase DAW. As a result of this and since I am less than formerly acquainted with DAW's in general I will be asking some questions now and then on how to make things work. Fortunately, I know an xlr jack from a 1/4" jack and have run analog boards for bands in the past and have some idea of what's going on. I just want to grab my guitar, bass, piano, and drums and have some fun putting down tracks. If it matters to anyone I am using a yamaha G100-212 III with 412 bottom, Yamaha DGX 505 portable grand piano, Fender rumble 100 from 1990, Tama drum set, and 2 cheap basswood guitars that I refurbished into something like Kiesel Guitars. I'm not rich so I had to go cheap to make this room happen and I am sure you all will help me. Thanks again for your time I really appreciate it.View attachment 127499
dont forget the click track!!!

Thanks all, I appreciate it. So Mick, I have sound Peavey SP2a's but they just took up to much room so, because I am near broke I picked up a set of Radio Shack 06a11's
which are less in weight and more boxy in size. They have 15's in them and tweeters plus so probably gonna be too loud for this 9 x 15 room but then I should be able to keep the volume down thus making them sound better than if I were blasting them. I'm not going to show off to the neighbors. I may upgrade later when I save some money. I'm still putting the room together. Well, thanks for the welcomes I already have a post to hook up my reverb pan I made. Cheers!View attachment 127502
Well Dr......if you're going to do any decent mixing....those speakers are probably not going to work well for you in that room...or any room really. Given your budget crunch I suggest that you save up for some monitors that might do the job. It's MUCH better to wait and buy worthy equipment than to keep buying up the totem pole until you get what will work. So...that said....and of course that's only my opinion...although I would think many here will agree...what do you have for headphones? A decent pair these days doesn't have to kill a budget and can work well for you.

Mick

I agree with Mick, if you are going to record, you need mixing monitors.
Mix monitors are smaller, far more accurate speakers that will help you evaluate your mix with some degree of accuracy, both for when in your room, and for when you listen elsewhere. Otherwise you'll be fighting everything all the time because you don't hear it right to begin with.

Glad to have you on board, let us know how things progress.

C.

Back