Hello Everyone, I'm new: Questions about ProTools Rigs

JamesGPieri

Hey yall, I'm new and i have a bunch of questions. If you can answer any of them, thank you in advance.

First off - to introduce myself. I have a digidesign 002R running PT 7, Behringer ADA8000, Event TR8 Monitors, an HP Pavillion laptop , 3.2 with HT, 400GB HD, 2048mb of ram, a Mackie 32/8 Bus, 3 Alesis Midiverbs, 3 Samson S-com + Compressors, and 1 BBE 882i. I also have 2 MXL 990's, 2 MXL 770's, 5 SM57's, 3 SM58's, 2 SM60's, 2 SM63's, Audix D6, 2 Audix f15s, 1 Audix f10, and 2 Audix f12's.

I am a younger person, and am in a fairly popular touring band. Naturally, we try to do all of our own recording, and i went to school for music production at NYU, so we do all of our recording and mixing in-house. I encourage everyone to check out my band and my recordings and give me constructive criticism, www.myspace.com/dubsoulectors to listen to the work that i do.

OK - so now for the questions.

1. Does anyone know why the 002 has 2 firewire ports? Can another firewire device be used through the 002?

2. Has anybody used the Line 6 Toneport UX2(or UX1 for that matter) with protools? I now it comes with ableton live, but was wondering if there were rewire options or something like that to integrate it with PT.

3. FXpansions VST - RTAS plugin adapter - Can you manipulate the parameter's of the plugins like you can with regular digidesign AU or RTAS plugins?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out.

1. Does anyone know why the 002 has 2 firewire ports? Can another firewire device be used through the 002?

yes, you can daisy chain another device through it. For example, a CD drive or something. It is NOT recommended to plug a hard drive into the port, though.

2. Has anybody used the Line 6 Toneport UX2(or UX1 for that matter) with protools? I now it comes with ableton live, but was wondering if there were rewire options or something like that to integrate it with PT.

I have not, but looking at the specs I don't see it being possible.

3. FXpansions VST - RTAS plugin adapter - Can you manipulate the parameter's of the plugins like you can with regular digidesign AU or RTAS plugins?

Yes, almost all VST plugins are compatible with the RTAS wrapper. You can control all the parameters of that plugin.
Also, note, Pro Tools does not utilize AU plugins (Audio Units...native to Mac)...but Audio Suite

JamesGPieri said:

With the extra firewire port, you could add another interface to your recording chain for more inputs/outputs. You could also add an external firewire hard drive but this is really not recommended by many. You should rather connect the harddrive to an extra firewire port on the computer.

studiomaster said:
With the extra firewire port, you could add another interface to your recording chain for more inputs/outputs.

this is not possible if you want to use Pro Tools.
Pro Tools only allows one hardware I/O connected at a time.

Back