Hello BBS... I need some help with microphones

TW 1

First of all, I am a rapper who used to record on cheap radio shack microphones... needless to say, I got tired of the cold fuzzy feelings those plastic microphones gave me. Now, I'm being introduced in the world of home studio recording, and have a bit of a clue but still need some help.

What is the difference between a tube mic, ribbon mic, ect?

Which one is the best for recording vocals only?

I have my eye set on a st66, but what is the difference between that and a st55? Are they different types of microphones with different purposes or are they merely just older/ newer versions of the same mic?

What is the best microphone for vocals under 400 dollars?

And my final question... is there a big noticeable difference between a 2000 dollar mic and a 60 dollar one? Even if you have a mixer and pop filters and all that jazz?

Thank you.

A tube mic has a tube in it.

A ribbon mic has a ribbon in it.

In your case probably the tube reason being ribbons are fragile and I haven't heard of any rapper using one for vocals.

There is no such thing as a best microphone. For 400 bucks I'd reccomend trying an re-20 or SM7. Hopefully your mixer has enough gain to push them though.

The differance between a 60 dollar microphone and a 2000 dollar mic is quality of components used.

Yes there is a huge differance.

I'd suggest reading the stickies in the microphone forum. THey will help you immensley and answer the questions you asked here better than I ever could.

bigwillz24 said:
A tube mic has a tube in it.

A ribbon mic has a ribbon in it.

In your case probably the tube reason being ribbons are fragile and I haven't heard of any rapper using one for vocals.

There is no such thing as a best microphone. For 400 bucks I'd reccomend trying an re-20 or SM7. Hopefully your mixer has enough gain to push them though.

The differance between a 60 dollar microphone and a 2000 dollar mic is quality of components used.

Yes there is a huge differance.

I'd suggest reading the stickies in the microphone forum. THey will help you immensley and answer the questions you asked here better than I ever could.

I checked the stickies... had some good stuff, but nothing bout the stuff I asked... or at least the stuff I saw.

But could you expand on the bolded part?

He means that the mics he suggested (re20, sm7) are dynamic (not powered), not condensers (powered). Basically they need more gain than other types of mics because they aren't an amplified (powered) mic.

Also add the Sennheiser MD 421 to that list for good measure.

TW 1 said:
I checked the stickies... had some good stuff, but nothing bout the stuff I asked... or at least the stuff I saw.

.......or at least the stuff you had the patience to read. TW, it's great that you want to get serious and move beyond the plastic rat shack mic, but if I can offer a piece of advice, you have two choices; either accept that this is an endeavour that requires serious study.... not instant gratification from a forum, or pay someone who does take it seriously to record you. Otherwise you'll end up making only marginally better recordings than with the rat shack mic. There's a lot to this, and having a limited budget makes it even more important that you balance your purchases to arrive at the best setup possible for the overall budget, with an upgrade plan in place, and that you know how to get the best results from it. I urge you to study before you spend a dime, and then move forward with a plan and some knowledge on what to do with you're new gear.

Robert D said:
.......or at least the stuff you had the patience to read. TW, it's great that you want to get serious and move beyond the plastic rat shack mic, but if I can offer a piece of advice, you have two choices; either accept that this is an endeavour that requires serious study.... not instant gratification from a forum, or pay someone who does take it seriously to record you. Otherwise you'll end up making only marginally better recordings than with the rat shack mic. There's a lot to this, and having a limited budget makes it even more important that you balance your purchases to arrive at the best setup possible for the overall budget, with an upgrade plan in place, and that you know how to get the best results from it. I urge you to study before you spend a dime, and then move forward with a plan and some knowledge on what to do with you're new gear.

damn good post.

Yo TW 1! Welcome to the board! They are busting your ass because you have asked a small question with a BIG answer, which has been asked (and answered) a bizzillion times before. And there are some serious differences of opinion. Is a $2000 mic better than a $60 mic? Not if the $2000 mic is the wrong mic for the job. What's better for pulling stumps, a cheap truck or a Ferrari? Here's my best short answer to your question:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2548601#post2548601

Best of luck

Last edited:
Stop sucking the SM57's balls

Are you fucking me?!??! The man has a 400 dollar budget and you recomend a Shure SM57 as the best vocal mic!?!?!?! Dude you can do WAY beter than that mic. I wouldnt even say its the best mic under 100 bucks for vocals let alone anything else. Dude get a MD421, SM7b, RE20....If you want a great condensor for about that kind of money check ebay for a Rode NTK.

weezerman2002 said:
Are you fucking me?!??! The man has a 400 dollar budget and you recomend a Shure SM57 as the best vocal mic!?!?!?! Dude you can do WAY beter than that mic. I wouldnt even say its the best mic under 100 bucks for vocals let alone anything else. Dude get a MD421, SM7b, RE20....If you want a great condensor for about that kind of money check ebay for a Rode NTK.

i don't care what the question is, my answer will remain SM57.

best mic for opening a bottle of Corona? SM57. best mic for use as thrown weapon? SM57. best mic for everything on earth for under $1,000,000? SM57. not my fault if you don't get it.

So what you are telling me is that a SM57 is the best mic ever made. Its a versitile mic yes, but it excells at nothing. Obviously your mic closet has 1 mic in it, and thats why you'll never get it.

weezerman2002 said:
So what you are telling me is that a SM57 is the best mic ever made. Its a versitile mic yes, but it excells at nothing. Obviously your mic closet has 1 mic in it, and thats why you'll never get it.

not only is it the best mic ever made, it is man's greatest creation. and how did you know my mic closet has 1 mic in it? are you stalking me? :confused:

yeah i guess i'll never get it, haha :rolleyes:

at least dgatwood gets it. :cool:

man we got some uptight audio engineers on this forum. people need to get a sense of humor.

by the way, I heard that a jay-z endorsed version of the 57 is coming out. perfect for all the rappers with home studios.

^^^

I am a SERIOUS newbie... I didn't even know you needed a preamp or what they do.

I thought I basically needed a good condenser mic, a mixer, and some cables. Is a mixer a preamp? lol... cause I have no idea. Fill me in on the stuff I need?

and do computer apps like Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Audition, ect... do any good?

Richard Monroe said:
Yo TW 1! Welcome to the board! They are busting your ass because you have asked a small question with a BIG answer, which has been asked (and answered) a bizzillion times before. And there are some serious differences of opinion. Is a $2000 mic better than a $60 mic? Not if the $2000 mic is the wrong mic for the job. What's better for pulling stumps, a cheap truck or a Ferrari? Here's my best short answer to your question:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2548601#post2548601

Best of luck

Thanks for this.

Back