Heil PR40 ?

twostone

Anybody use these mics got a chance to score a used one cheap if memory serves me right these are pretty forking good versatile mic for recording just about everything and sound way better then a lot of Rode, Cad, AT, or EV's mics just been way to long ago since I heard one in action any user out there that uses this mic would appreciate Feedback before I spurge and by another mic in my already overstocked mic collection. :eek:

...I have both a Shure SM7B and the Heil PR40 that I use frequently for vocal tracking...compared to the SM7B the Heil has a sound more like a condenser mic...a bit more detailed and with better bass response than the Shure...IMHO the PR series from Heil are great value for the price...if you're getting a better price than "street" pricing, grab that badboy!...you won't regret it...but keep in mind that dynamic mics require a bit more gain from your mic pre than the typical condenser mic...

kidvybes said:
...I have both a Shure SM7B and the Heil PR40 that I use frequently for vocal tracking...compared to the SM7B the Heil has a sound more like a condenser mic...a bit more detailed and with better bass response than the Shure...IMHO the PR series from Heil are great value for the price...if you're getting a better price than "street" pricing, grab that badboy!...you won't regret it...but keep in mind that dynamic mics require a bit more gain from your mic pre than the typical condenser mic...

Thanks for the input guys not worried about gain I'll be using it for a amp cab mic so gain won't be a issue. IMO gotta be better then the standard SM57 figured I might give it try BTW I'm not a fan of the SM57 as a guitar cab mic but a big fan as a snare mic. I've had better luck with it as a snare mic seems to me the EQ curve matches better as a snare mic then a guitar mic but hell that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

kidvybes said:
Really??!! I love my SM7 and have never found a mic that can do all the Shure can. I will look into this puppy just cuz you ain't ever lied to me ......yet.

Big Kenny said:
Really??!! I love my SM7 and have never found a mic that can do all the Shure can. I will look into this puppy just cuz you ain't ever lied to me ......yet.

...BK...don't think that I'm about to dismiss my SM7B just because I like the PR40...the SM7B still gets first shot at vocal tracking (among my dynamic mics) but I will say that the Heil does compliment certain voices more than the Shure (it has a kinda "sheen" about it that the SM7B lacks)...sorta like if you mated a KSM27 with an SM7 ( :eek: did I really just suggest such a thing?)...but really, that's what it sounds like...nice option to my SM7B...
...but some people do prefer the PR30 (smaller diaphragm) to the PR40 as it seems to do better double-duty on guitar cabs and drums...

Anybody use these mics got a chance to score a used one cheap if memory serves me right these are pretty forking good versatile mic for recording just about everything and sound way better then a lot of Rode, Cad, AT, or EV's mics just been way to long ago since I heard one in action any user out there that uses this mic would appreciate Feedback before I spurge and by another mic in my already overstocked mic collection. :eek:

I know this is old, but really...

periods can be your friend.

Stay in school.:)

Actually, if you look at Heil spec sheets, the PR30 diaphragm is 1 and 1/2 inch diameter, while the PR40 diaphragm is only 1 and 1/8 inch diameter. I'm increasingly interested in trying a PR30......

...my bad...I actually made that assumption based on looking at the two mics side by side, the PR40 being a bit thicker in diameter...I never saw the spec sheets...but I have heard only good about both mics...I have used the PR40 in the studio on vocals (very clean and nice presence) and on live gigs for vocals and cab micing...rugged and very well designed...Bob Heil knows his sh*t...these mics rock!...

lately my rode nt2a and my at 4033 (and it's dumb little brother the 4040)
are increasingly getting passed up in favor of my pr 30 on vox.

it also likes bass git,
big fan of it on hand perc,
and i like it on guitars, but some here do not agree.

Back