Heil PR40 on Vocals

Fishmed

I recorded some vocals for a project this past weekend and ended up using a Heil PR40. It did an AWESOME job.

Man. I've been wanting to get one of those so bad. Goddamn recession. And also crappy job I've had since before the recession ever started. Goddamn that too.

I've been looking at one of those for a while. I really like large diaphragm dynamics (I've got an SM7 and RE-20 that I use constantly). Could you talk a bit about the tonal qualities of the mic, why it's good and such? It'd be highly appreciated.

I've been looking at one of those for a while. I really like large diaphragm dynamics (I've got an SM7 and RE-20 that I use constantly). Could you talk a bit about the tonal qualities of the mic, why it's good and such? It'd be highly appreciated.

If you like the large dynamic diaphragm mics, this is the one to add to your collection. I also have an RE-27 (RE-20). Here are a few comparisons:

Vocals: Both sound great, but the PR-40 is more open sounding.
Guitar: The PR-40 smokes here; best dynamic mic I have ever used on them.
Kick Drum: RE-27 does a much better job. The PR-40's open sound gets too much of the ringy, hollow, shell sound. For the record, I use a D-112 on kicks. It has a fuller sound than the RE-27.

I had several Sennheiser MD421 II, but I was disapointed with them and moved to the Heil mics.

I had a PR30, and it was the most condensor-like dynamic mic I've ever heard. Now after cycling thru a dozen other mics, I really regret selling the Heil.

I will buy one again when money permits, probably go for the PR40 this time. I love my PR20 for stage, and my Heil Handi Mic on guitar cab, way better than the 57 or the i5.

Back