Heil PR20

Hey Harvey...

Thanks. I actually had a huge question involving these mics, and it wouldn't post up for some reason.

More to the point: The research i've done on these mics seem to focus on them being used as instrument mics, and that they do a damned fine job. However, i've been recently using some user reviews on the MF HC and such, with people using them for vocal mics. Supposedly superb results, but i'm a bit slow to jump in that pool without knowing the folk that are testing them. I've got 2 beta 58s and a Beta 87 that is now on loan to me. I'm liking the B87, but not the sticker price. The reviews i've read tout the PR20 to be in the same category with the B87, and superior to the B58. I'm not noticing a big enough difference in the B58 from the B87 to really say that a mic is superior, and that's all up to perspective and individual use besides.

Any chance you could throw the PR20 up on a mic stand and give me your honest opinion of it vocally?

I'm off to a rig in the middle of the Gulf for now. Be back in a week.

Hey Harvey...

Thanks. I actually had a huge question involving these mics, and it wouldn't post up for some reason.

More to the point: The research i've done on these mics seem to focus on them being used as instrument mics, and that they do a damned fine job. However, i've been recently using some user reviews on the MF HC and such, with people using them for vocal mics. Supposedly superb results, but i'm a bit slow to jump in that pool without knowing the folk that are testing them. I've got 2 beta 58s and a Beta 87 that is now on loan to me. I'm liking the B87, but not the sticker price. The reviews i've read tout the PR20 to be in the same category with the B87, and superior to the B58. I'm not noticing a big enough difference in the B58 from the B87 to really say that a mic is superior, and that's all up to perspective and individual use besides.

Any chance you could throw the PR20 up on a mic stand and give me your honest opinion of it vocally?

I'm off to a rig in the middle of the Gulf for now. Be back in a week.

Don't hafta try it again. The PR20 didn't do it for me for vocals, but it's perfect for electric guitars. When we first got it, I tried it as a vocal mic but we just didn't like it. It LOOKS like it would be a good vocal mic, but its home here is miking Marshall cabs.

It has a peaky sound in the way upper mids that makes it largely "eh" on most vocals...but I did track an entire album's lead vocals with one a couple months ago as I don't have a lot of handheld stuff in my place and the female singer just wasn't comfortable singing into a mic on a stand. I put the PR20 in her hand, wrapped in cloth to cut down on noise, and away she went.

The track is certainly useable, but will require a little additional hammering during mixdown.

If you want a Heil for vocals look no further than the PR40. That mic has a very nice sound indeed.

War

Back