Heavy Rock Instrumental

Drumz519

This is my first shot at mixing something that I recorded. I am a HARDCORE noob when it comes to mixing so please make your comments constructive (telling me that the lowend sucks doesn't do much for me, telling me do boost x hz or bring up the kick does). I'm not satisfied with the mix but I'm to the point where I'm taking shots in the dark and would appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

Here's the tune; http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8625

Here's what I was mixing;
-Quad tracked guitars, same tone
-Solo and harmony tracks
-Bass Direct
-2 Drum OH's
-Snare
-Tom1
-Tom2
-Internal mic'd kick
-Homemade Subkick

Hey man, sounds pretty good. I am listening on cheap computer speakers, so that may be why I'm hearing what I'm hearing some things and not others... In other words, take my comments with a large grain of salt. ;)

The main things that I am hearing are in the drums. Seems like the kick doesn't stand out enough and the snare has a little too much "snap" in it. I know that's not what you asked for, so bring the kick up a little. :D

Bring the drums up a bit; the kick needs a little more relative to the rest of the drums.

Are you using triggers for the snare/toms? I hear some timing issues on a few of the fills.

All in all the sound is really good - IMHO the performance will never rise above the drum track. It's a good enough song - I'd retrack it if I could, or try to fix it if I couldn't.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. No triggers were used. All sounds are the originals from recording. I'll definitely be work on this one!

Back