Heavy hard wood riser on a small recording room

Dreverb

Hello all, just a quick question, i have a heavy hard wood riser of 60 x 35'', 4'' tall, on a basement I used to use as a drum riser on my rehearsal place. Would it be used in some way in a home recording studio as a basstrap having it filled with absoving materials? leaving it on the floor or in from of a window. It is a small room, maybe three times that stand. Or al least be helpful to record acoustic guitars sitting on top?

Thanks anyway.

I don't believe it would be of any use as a bass trap, though filling it with absorption material may help to stop the thing from resonating.

Just a guess but I would think the riser will do more harm than good. But the only way to know would be to try it.

I don't believe it would be of any use as a bass trap, though filling it with absorption material may help to stop the thing from resonating.

Just a guess but I would think the riser will do more harm than good. But the only way to know would be to try it.
thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate it

so, is there any way I can use that huge thing for recording?
a big fireplace in the street to keep away demons? :)

I think that if it's a big empty box, it'll resonate at certain frequencies and drive you mad. If you fill it with insulation or other damping material, I think it'll effectively become a sort of Helmholtz resonator and only be good at absorbing very specific frequencies.

I think that if it's a big empty box, it'll resonate at certain frequencies and drive you mad. If you fill it with insulation or other damping material, I think it'll effectively become a sort of Helmholtz resonator and only be good at absorbing very specific frequencies.

thank you, I'll try to read about that. :thumbs up:

If it was stuffed with soundboard insulation and had a series of slot resonators placed over the front it could potentially be tuned to a center frequency and also be tuned to an octave above and below. If the center frequency happens to be the resonant frequency of the room mode it could be useful.

Recording Drums

Recording Drums

If the entire thing is sealed, then putting insulation will simply help keep it from resonating. If however you put some large holes in the sides or have it open in some other way, it can act as a bass trap. In home theaters, this is commonly employed to create a large bass trap in the rear of the room using a riser that a second row of seating is on.

If the entire thing is sealed, then putting insulation will simply help keep it from resonating. If however you put some large holes in the sides or have it open in some other way, it can act as a bass trap. In home theaters, this is commonly employed to create a large bass trap in the rear of the room using a riser that a second row of seating is on.

Sorry, I didn't see this answer, is that easy to get done? i mean , if that riser has holes it would be helpful? any kind of holes??
thanks so much!

The trick to that sort of thing is you have to design it so that it is tuned to the problem frequencies in the room. Without testing the room to see what the problem frequencies are and then designing the resonator to help with them, you are just spitting in the wind.

if that riser has holes it would be helpful? any kind of holes??

Any material you fill it with can only absorb sound if there is a free flow of air - i.e. the air/sound needs to be able to get to the absorbant material as easily as possible and not have a massive chunk of hardwood in the way.

Fill it full of holes, damp the large surfaces somehow and fill it with rockwool somehow, and it might work.

You haven't burned that thing yet?? ;)

^^This^^

We used to have a riser built in the old jam space my band used and it was more of an annoying, rattling box than anything useful. Not sure if that would have changed had we drilled holes and filled it with insulation, either. Deck screws and wood glue made a solid structure but it wasn't good for much more than a raised deck to sit on and drink beer while we weren't playing.

If you need a riser for drums (or amps on the back wall, for example), just build it 'open' - on legs - so it doesn't become a resonance box.

Back