Heavy Curtains

Apache choppers 200' up are darn loud

Hey frederic, how are you? I've got a couple of things goin on here that NO ONE can figure out. After the second episode, I called the local TV channel to see if anyone else reported it. I called the sherrif too.
I live on the southern Coast of Oregon, and its damn remote over here. I live just outside of the very small town of Coos Bay, with one small airport with a coast guard helicopter port for sea rescue. My house is on top of a hill, which runs parallel to a mountain range that seperates the coast from the rest of civilization. :D This is isolated over here. I NEVER even see commercial or military jet aircraft over here. There is no reason for them here. However, we witnessed the most bizarre and LOUD sound imagineable, THREE TIMES, and I've lived within 5 miles of the Saturn V rocket testing grounds at Aerojet in Sacramento Ca. This sound was even louder. After the third time, I sent an email to KCBY channel 11 here in Coos Bay. Here is what I told them.
To whom it may concern.
"Approximately 3 months ago, one day just after the sun went down, I was working in my garage with the garage doors open. It was overcast, and dark. I live on top of a hill in Millington, on Sunnyvale lane. Out of nowhere, I was startled by the sound of a large jet/rocket engine, that was above my home. I am highly familiar to the sound of jet and rocket motors, as I lived within 5 miles of the Aerojet Rocket motor testing grounds in Sacramento California, for over 20 years. This was also adjacent to Mather Air Force base 1 mile away, where B-52 bombers regularly took off and landed daily.

I am well aware of the sounds of jets, at close distances of 50 to 100', and the sound of the Saturn 5 rocket motors used on the propulsion of the Space Shuttle escape rockets, and the rocket that propelled the moon voyager into space. These rockets are unbelievably loud, at even 2 or 3 miles away. A large jet engine is capable of 140db, at 50'. Since I own a small recording studio, I own a Sound Level meter, which at hearing the sound I am describing, I ran and got from my studio, and measured the sound above my home. It was a whopping 132db. For over 20 minutes, this sound circled my home for a radius of about a mile, and at times there were actually 2 of these sounds at opposite points of an imaginary circle with my home at the center. I am also used to sounds of echos in the valley that Millington is in, and these were NO echos, although I could also hear reverberation in the valley.

As soon as I heard this sound, I yelled for other members of my family to come out and witness this sound with me. We could see nothing, yet the sound was so loud that at one point we had to cover our ears. These sounds would rotate around an imaginary circle, then stop, then rotate, then stop, repeatedly for over 20 minutes, only to dissipate in 2 opposite directions to zero db(ambient sound level in the area). We were all stunned. I know there is a Coast Guard station at the nearby airport in Northbend, and have visited there as the Coastgaurd helicopters take off and arrive. I have also witnessed them flying directly overhead above my home. I assure you the sounds we heard that evening were no local Coastgaurd helicopters, and if they were, they would have been within 25' of my home, and still not be as loud as the sounds we heard that evening. In fact, I can't even imagine something like a commercial jet or even military helicopter being this loud, and if they were, I would file a complaint for flying so low to adjacent civilian property. However, the cloud cover was very high, so I don't know how this would be possible in the first place. I soon forgot about it and passed it off as an unexplained event, but since I am newly moved here(1 yr at the time), I figured maybe this was a common event and could be explained eventually.

Approximately one month later, at about noon, I was out in the backyard working. Again, it was overcast and could see no clear sky. All of a sudden, the same sound as before appeared over the hill on the other side of Hiway 101 beyond the slough. It became increasingly loud again, yet I could see nothing. Within 2 or 3 minutes, I could tell the sound had moved clear over the bay in front of downtown Coos Bay. It continued to circle, and eventually ended up over my home again, yet continued toward Bandon, to a distant point that I could not determine, yet it was excruciatingly loud. Indeed, the level was such that it brought to mind the test conducted on the Saturn 5 in Sacramento(Rancho Cordova). These rockets could clearly and loudly be heard for distances up to 20 miles, as I also later lived in Citrus Heights, which was about 17 miles from the test site, and could actually rattle my windows at that distance.

I was perplexed, and even had my wife witness the sound again, which she too thought was bizarre, especially since we saw no report the time before on your TV news broadcast. I decided to call you immedietly while the sound was in the air. But to no avail. No one called me back either, even though I requested it. That infuriated me, as this sound is NOT indicative to this area, as there is NO provision to accomodate large jet aircraft at the North bend airport. Only small ones, which could NOT possibly generate the sound pressures that we witnessed. The sound moved in a circle around the Coos Bay vicinity again, and again came over my home, stayed in one spot for over 5 minutes, and then subsided in the distance.

I again scratched my head, and then looked on the net for other reports of similar occurance. There were many. Not only of sounds. But UFO's too, which struck me as extremely bizarre, as the latest of these was a report by three witness's on downtown Bandons Beach. They witnessed and filed a report of a strange object hovering over the ocean for over a half hour. What is wierd though, this happened on the same day as the last episode of this strange noise. These reports stem from the 1900's through current history.

Today, at the exact same time as the last, on a perfectly clear day, I heard the same sound, for over 15 minutes, and again my wife also witnessed it and remembered the times before. There was nothing in the air, nothing to see, only the sound, and I might add, at a level that shook my home from the intensity. I immedietly called you again, and again to no avail. Apparently no one is there to take news reports. I find this highly irregular for a news media. I again left my number, and after 2 hours never received a call. Hence my email The next time I hear this, I am going to record it both visually to document the Soundlevel meter, and audio wise to tape. I will then call the FAA. Maybe then you will investigate my reports. I have asked other people in the area, only to find people uninterested, unconcerned, unnoticing, and skeptical. Yet when it happens, every dog in the area begins barking. There are also other sounds that accompany the engine or rocket motor sounds. Hi frequency whirlijg sound, unlike a helicopter blade noise. I can't identify the object that produces this sound, but it is mysterious to say the least, and why there are no other reports to your office(thats why I called) is beyond me, as people around here seem to take it for granted that it is a jet, and do not notice. I DO notice, as I am familiar with these sounds, yet cannot identify the object that produces them, nor see it on a clear day. To me, this IS news, as it may call attention to something that is NOT common knowlege, nor LEGAL. Maybe it would bring out other witnesses or photographs. Some people do not like to call attention to things they witness out of fear of ridicule. I do not. I feel it is in the publics interest to bring it to the communitys attention. If nothing else, simply to clear up this mystery
Rick Fitzpatrick

Needless to say, short of a bomb shelter, there isn't ANY soundproofing material to stop this noise :rolleyes: I brought this up cause it happened AGAIN yesterday. Wierd. No report again either. I'm calling the FAA monday.
fitZ :confused:

Try doubling up on the heavy curtains, that should do the job.

:D

I'm not really a believer in UFOs, but I'll be interested to find out if you're able to get an answer as to what's making the noise.

(Note to self- Cross Coos Bay of the list of potential retirement destinations)

Good luck!

Ted

So, what happened? Have you been abducted yet? :D

This is quite a tale you weave Rick. I'd like to know, as Paul Harvey says, "the rest of the story". :)

Rick Fitzpatrick
Did you call the FAA?
I'm sure I would be buggin' out if I heard a sound like that! I am not very familiar with what different flying machine sounds, never lived close to any airports or testing areas and would't be able to identify what different sounds were. But, I know that any extra bright star or slightly different airplane that I'm used to seeing, I am always thinking hmmmm... ufo??? And my fiance and family say NO c'mon it's just a star, or just an airplane... I've remember waking my father up at night and making him run outside to see something I saw one time in the sky that loooked really weird... it was 2 red long skinny oval like shapes in the sky that we actually never found out what it was but there were some other friends of the family who lived closeby and also saw it.

The movie communion is a cool alien movie differnent...
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/communion.htm

I would be scared if I lived where you describe and i watched this... I was scared watching it here in NY!
evt

Back