Heat and humidity

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
It got hot early here this year. I'm in the north Texas area, have lived here for 27 years and other than '98 - I can't remember the heat and intense humidity setting in this early. About 3 weeks ago the dry-bulb jumped way up and the dew point did too. I'm certain of it.... for a couple of days there - I can't remember ever experiencing intense humidity like that - heat index of approx 115F.🥵

I'm in the air conditioning business - and business is good. So there's that.

I couldn't be any more thankful for my in-law's pool which is 11 houses down from us.:-)

I lived in North Texas for about 20ish years, Ft. Worth. I had two cars old VW and a Dodge Dart when I first arrived in 81, no AC, not fun.

Yea, lucky for me, I didn't know then what I know now :)
I hear that.

My first car was a '69 VW. Looked great, fresh paint, no a/c of course. But I lived near the beach at the time so no biggie. I worked on it constantly to keep it running. Turns out - that ended up being a very good thing as I became handy, knowledgeable, and self sufficient early on.

But thank god for my next ride - an '81 Civic with ice cold air. Which was nice to have as I arrived in west Phoenix in the summer of '87 to start refrigeration school. Great gas mileage too!

I hear that.

My first car was a '69 VW. Looked great, fresh paint, no a/c of course. But I lived near the beach at the time so no biggie. I worked on it constantly to keep it running. Turns out - that ended up being a very good thing as I became handy, knowledgeable, and self sufficient early on.

But thank god for my next ride - an '81 Civic with ice cold air. Which was nice to have as I arrived in west Phoenix in the summer of '87 to start refrigeration school. Great gas mileage too!
Yes, a very nice ride for AZ for sure.

S.W. Virginia in the Appalachians. Been okay here. Hot and humid for the last three days, better today. Nothing different
than the summers in upstate N.Y. Nothing to write home about. I guess this ain't home.

Hot and humid? Oh yeah, but here in the wild of Northern Connecticut I measured 6.75" of rain on July 3 and 4th in total.

On the upside, however, the rain prevented the fireworks nutjobs in my neighborhood from spending 3 hours (between 9pm and midnight) assaulting the neighborhood as usual.

I love a rainy night!

Who sang that song?

Eddie Rabbit!

Good Lord, they played the daylights out of that song. It was on both the country stations AND the pop stations at the same time!

On the upside, however, the rain prevented the fireworks nutjobs in my neighborhood from spending 3 hours (between 9pm and midnight) assaulting the neighborhood as usual.
I hear you.

The night of the 4th is a drag these days.... because my dogs hate it.... and will not let my wife or I sleep.

Humidity will bring out the humility in a person. Livin in Cali in the So Cal part we do get some serious heat and some humidity in July , August and September but the humidity is nothing like what I experienced when I would go to Texas back when I worked for a Houston company...Worse yet in South China Guang Dong province holy shit dripping wet heat. Inspecting quartz slabs in an un air conditioned smoldering hot quartz factory for 4 days was hellacious.

Palm springs is 90 miles away from me...they be cookin for the next few days...but it's a dry heat LOL!

1689170273315.png

Yep - as I've mentioned - I grew up in Newport Beach, CA and lived there until I was 27. I had never felt humidity like they have in the south and eastern U.S. That just didn't happen. Not like that anyway.

Today we will be threatening records here again today. The dry bulb will be in the 103F range - but the dew point is unusually high again today. Making it super thick and steamy.

Paradise, I tell ya!:-)

Reactions: TAE
I used to do roofing in this weather wearing long sleeve flannel shirts, long jeans and leather boots. I was ok until one summer day we were scraping slag and recovering a flat-top commercial building. Paper, hot tar and stone. I don't think I made it to lunch break before I walked off the job.

Reactions: TAE
When I was in high school, I worked at my dad's greenhouse. We had 4 glass greenhouses, each 100 ft long and contained about 5000 windows each. Each summer for 4 years, we took out all the glass from one house. I scraped and cleaned windows. We had a cutter that would clean the channel on each side of the bar of old putty, then we had to wire brush the bars and paint them. Then we replaced the windows and for permanence, we added an aluminum bar cap that sealed the window and kept the wood from being exposed to the elements.

It was usually in the high 80s to 90s and with the typical high humidity for the Ohio Valley. We would start early, around 6:30, and knock off around 2pm. Otherwise things in the sun were pretty much unbearable. It would take about 2 months to complete the job and that would be during July and August. Sometimes you would get the pop up thunderstorm that would cool things down for 20 minutes and the make the humidity go up even more.

We also replaced the tar roof over the office area in the back one summer. I can't say it was enjoyable, but it had to be done.

I don't ever remember the weather service issuing warnings about excessive heat. They tried to tell you what to expect and you prepared to work around it.

Last Thursday, I walked 18 holes, starting at 3:30. The TV seemed to mention heat warnings at every chance. Dew point was in the 70s, and the temp got up to 94. I wasn't really sure I would make it by about the 14th hole, but I persevered. We finished about 8:00. I'll do it again tomorrow if it isn't raining.

When I was in high school, I worked at my dad's greenhouse. We had 4 glass greenhouses, each 100 ft long and contained about 5000 windows each. Each summer for 4 years, we took out all the glass from one house. I scraped and cleaned windows. We had a cutter that would clean the channel on each side of the bar of old putty, then we had to wire brush the bars and paint them. Then we replaced the windows and for permanence, we added an aluminum bar cap that sealed the window and kept the wood from being exposed to the elements.

It was usually in the high 80s to 90s and with the typical high humidity for the Ohio Valley. We would start early, around 6:30, and knock off around 2pm. Otherwise things in the sun were pretty much unbearable. It would take about 2 months to complete the job and that would be during July and August. Sometimes you would get the pop up thunderstorm that would cool things down for 20 minutes and the make the humidity go up even more.

We also replaced the tar roof over the office area in the back one summer. I can't say it was enjoyable, but it had to be done.

I don't ever remember the weather service issuing warnings about excessive heat. They tried to tell you what to expect and you prepared to work around it.

Last Thursday, I walked 18 holes, starting at 3:30. The TV seemed to mention heat warnings at every chance. Dew point was in the 70s, and the temp got up to 94. I wasn't really sure I would make it by about the 14th hole, but I persevered. We finished about 8:00. I'll do it again tomorrow if it isn't raining.
I grew up in your neck of the woods. On the sunny side of Louisville as they used to say.

I grew up in central Florida in the '60's. We never had air conditioning. We had a wall shaker, but it was rarely used. The first air conditioning I had was after I started working mid '70's, and I bought a window unit. Mom and dad slept in my room after I moved out.

Here in the UK, I don't know anyone who has aircon in the homes - just something we don't have. Today, it will be around 25C, 17C last night. Today will be dry, yesterday we had thunder storms. We do get lightning - for it to cause problems is very rare. We're pretty lucky - this is just typical UK weather. I doubt anyone here would even have heard of the 'dew point' - let alone know what it was, bar pilots, who understand it and a few random older people. In my entire life, we have had one 'proper' hurricane. We panic about strong wind, and as soon as temperatures go over 20C (68F) out TV goes into yellow weather alert and idiots start splashing on sunblock factor XX, the stuff that looks like cooking fat. Normal people just say, it's hot. If we hit 30, the end of the world is coming. If we get rain, that's normal, as are grey skies. Most of the Brits who go abroad and experience real weather are pretty impressed when the Americans look around and say "You call this weather?" - The US has permanent sub zero, sweltering tropical weather, and everything in between - and don't realise how impressive that is. A few days moderately hot, and occasionally cold are our extremes and we struggle with those. Our hurricanes are your light breezes. The US leads the world with weather, and considers it normal.

Here - I don't know anyone with a pool, and even jacuzzis are rare.

We're currently in a week-long stretch of 93 day / 80 night temps. Humidity is high with the 'humitures' coming in around 105. I turn the AC off when I hit the sack and the place holds steady at 79.

Back