"Heart & Soul" original song......

minerman

Tonetard
Finally finished a song using my real amps & cabs, instead of ampsims.....

Any advice, comments or suggestions are welcome!!!!!

What the hell year is it anyway? I know you like the 80's hair-rock sound, and you pretty much nailed it to the millionth power. Very nice tones from your new gear. If I had to really nitpick the guitar tones with a fine-took comb, and this is just my personal opinion, I think they're a little thin. I'm not really feeling the "chunk" in the mutes. Overall the guitar tones are great though and I'd bet that 90% of that is simply because you can play very well. The mix is okay. I think it's a little bass-lite. More bass gtr please. The vocals are the weak spot in my opinion in both performance and mix presence. A little more "feeling" in the vocal performance and a bigger over-the-top mix presence would help IMO. I like the big snare sound. Very cockrocking 80s. Well done overall.

Thanks Greg,
I know the vocals are weak (to be honest, they suck man, I'm no singer at all.....), but the rest of your review actually made me smile....I know how picky you are, & I'll take your review as a compliment really......thanks man!!!!

On the palm mute thing, I think it's more the p'up I installed a few weeks ago more than anything, I think it needs adjusted up/down a little to find the sweet spot for that particular p'up....I've just been so damn happy with the tones I've been getting, I haven't messed with it to be honest......

Thanks again for the kind words, the listen & review....

Thanks Greg,
I know the vocals are weak (to be honest, they suck man, I'm no singer at all.....), but the rest of your review actually made me smile....I know how picky you are, & I'll take your review as a compliment really......thanks man!!!!

On the palm mute thing, I think it's more the p'up I installed a few weeks ago more than anything, I think it needs adjusted up/down a little to find the sweet spot for that particular p'up....I've just been so damn happy with the tones I've been getting, I haven't messed with it to be honest......

Thanks again for the kind words, the listen & review....

Yeah it's not a big deal. Like I said, I was really nitpicking the palm mute thing. The tones you captured are stellar for this type of music. If you told everyone you recorded this with a modded JCM800 full stack, I don't think anyone would dispute it. I'm more impressed because I know you used little bitty gear. Very nicely done.

Great job. I like the guitar, drums and vocals. I think you vocal performance was just fine. I started playing in bands in the late 60's when guitars, organs and vocals all went through two amps. I guess that what I am saying is that I like a rawer sound.

Yeah, you can turn up the bass a notch. And yeah, the vocals - they don't quite live up to the rest of the mix - I've been in that place where I'm singing my ass off but I can't get out of the pattern I'm in. I mean, what are you supposed to do in a situation like that - sing your ass off MORE? I usually just leave it till another day, do it again and add alcohol. Another thing might be the drum fills starting about 2.50 - they could be tighter, I think, or maybe it's just they're not as convincing as the main drumming. Okay, that's the critique, but the song sounds good.

I was worried this would be a Joy Division cover...
More bass in the bass and get someone to sing for you & you're in hairmetal/spandex heaven.

Vocals need to be louder, especially when in the lower register. They aren't as bad as you think. You ain't Pavarotti, but burying them only makes the situation worse.:D Guitars sound great, it's a killer tone for this style. I think there are times when you could automate them more- pull down one about 2 db to make room for the solo line. More bass is a must. Well done.

Thanks for the listen(s), comments & suggestions guys....

After a couple/few days "on break" (actually back to fucking work....), I defintely need to re-do the vocals, big time...and, there's a spot or two the guitars sound out of tune, but they're not (I was bending notes in chords on the 2 rhythm tracks, & when the harmony gtrs come in, it just sounds out of tune.....I do tune before each take believe it or not.....:D).....

I'll most likely add some backing vocals to this too, might add a little something to it.....

I'm really happy all you guys like my guitar tones, I've been after that shit for over a year now, & have finally got where I think I'm getting pretty good results mic'ing my stuff up....

And, I know a lot of you guys here (insert: the Gerg) don't care much for the 1w amps, but to be honest, I fuckin' love mine!!!! If I had the $$$, I'd buy all of 'em except the JTM, that's really the only one that didn't interest me in the least.....

Thanks again, & in a few days, I'll post an updated version.....thanks again!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the listen(s), comments & suggestions guys....

After a couple/few days "on break" (actually back to fucking work....), I defintely need to re-do the vocals, big time...and, there's a spot or two the guitars sound out of tune, but they're not (I was bending notes in chords on the 2 rhythm tracks, & when the harmony gtrs come in, it just sounds out of tune.....I do tune before each take believe it or not.....:D).....

I'll most likely add some backing vocals to this too, might add a little something to it.....

I'm really happy all you guys like my guitar tones, I've been after that shit for over a year now, & have finally got where I think I'm getting pretty good results mic'ing my stuff up....

And, I know a lot of you guys here (insert: the Gerg) don't care much for the 1w amps, but to be honest, I fuckin' love mine!!!! If I had the $$$, I'd buy all of 'em except the JTM, that's really the only one that didn't interest me in the least.....

Thanks again, & in a few days, I'll post an updated version.....thanks again!!!!!!!!

Haha, I really don't like them, but you're doing very well with yours. I do like the JCM-1, that one is great. It's not so much that I don't like their sound, they sound okay for the most part, but they sound very little to me like their big brothers, and they're ridiculously priced. I don't like what the one watters represent. I'm a little dumbfounded by some of Marshall's recent business moves. Refrigerators? A full line of one watters? The SL-5? And of course the JCM 900 Dual Reverb re-issue, which I'm convinced is maybe the dumbest amp they've ever made. $2000 for a re-issue of the most maligned Marshall ever? An amp that you can buy used for 500 bucks? Is the white tolex of the re-issue worth $1500? What? But I do think they hit it out of the park with the new mini DSL stuff. And the big amps still rip. The DSL100H, JVM, YJM, and AFD are great amps. If you ever get a chance to try a YJM, do it. That thing is holy fucking awesome. I'm just a little dismayed that Marshall has seemingly forgotten how to make a simple one-channel 50/100 watt amp that people would go nuts for.

Oh, I agree dude, you're right about Marshall in the last couple years, to be honest, when I first heard/saw the 1w amps, & their price, I told myself "well, there's your solution for tube tone at low volume.....but you'll never have one because you'll have to sell your soul just to have one...", but I finally did get one.....BUT, I didn't pay full price for mine, I paid $600 tax/shipping/everything....but that's still a lot of $$$ for a "toy" amp.....but, I do have to say, since learning how to dial it in, & a couple tweaks tube wise, it does sound really good......

I almost bought the DSL-15 H, the dealbreaker for me was no fx loop. I'm sure I could've had a loop installed, probably could've installed a Zero-Loss thing myself, but the adding the loop would've put that amp up to about the same price as the 1w I bought....

But, it seems my needs are changing again, should be in the new house before too long, & I will have to do some work to soundproof the basement, but I plan on buying a half-stack by the end of the year anyway (might not be that long....just depends....).....

I've heard great things about the amps you mentioned, but the YJM & AFD are most likely out of my price range....Just have to wait & see how things go for a little while....No biggie having to wait, hell, I waited over a year for the 1w amp I bought....

Oh, I agree dude, you're right about Marshall in the last couple years, to be honest, when I first heard/saw the 1w amps, & their price, I told myself "well, there's your solution for tube tone at low volume.....but you'll never have one because you'll have to sell your soul just to have one...", but I finally did get one.....BUT, I didn't pay full price for mine, I paid $600 tax/shipping/everything....but that's still a lot of $$$ for a "toy" amp.....but, I do have to say, since learning how to dial it in, & a couple tweaks tube wise, it does sound really good......

I almost bought the DSL-15 H, the dealbreaker for me was no fx loop. I'm sure I could've had a loop installed, probably could've installed a Zero-Loss thing myself, but the adding the loop would've put that amp up to about the same price as the 1w I bought....

But, it seems my needs are changing again, should be in the new house before too long, & I will have to do some work to soundproof the basement, but I plan on buying a half-stack by the end of the year anyway (might not be that long....just depends....).....

I've heard great things about the amps you mentioned, but the YJM & AFD are most likely out of my price range....Just have to wait & see how things go for a little while....No biggie having to wait, hell, I waited over a year for the 1w amp I bought....

The YJM and AFD are indeed ridiculously priced, and I actually don't think they're even being made anymore. I'm pretty sure the YJM isn't. But if you ever see one, just plug in and check it out. It's probably the baddest Super Lead ever made. It could quite literally change your life.

Once you get your house, I bet you could easily find a DSL50 and a 4x12 for less than a grand total. You'd rip all day long on one of those.

The guitar tones are good....maybe a pinch more "meat" on them.
Something about the drums that isn't working....maybe the trashy Hat sound. I think the drums too could be a a bit chunkier for that style of music....that big areana THUMP.

Good tune for that style.
You already know about the vocals. If tyou could find a Rob Halford screamer vocalist, it would instantly lift the overall quality of your song...IMO.

Back