hearing test

doulos

the other day i had a stuffed up ear from sinuses so i decided to make this simple hearing test to see if i could still mix under this temporary condition it goes from 10hz to22khz fully panned left then right then stereo in 3 second intervals i made this test manually with a tone generator so it took around 3 hrs of work so i figured if anyone else wanted to check their hearing id try and save them the 3 hrs of trouble

WARNING DONT USE MONITORS FOR THIS TEST AND KEEP YOUR HEADPHONES AT QUIET VOLUMES

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2997/singles hearing test

Hmmm, on my headphones at work it was all in mono. Also it went totaly quiet at about 3:50 or so, came back briefyl, then went quiet again. i could still hear clicks every 3 seconds, but presumably my hearing is shot at those high frequencies?

Doesn't seem to bother me if that's the case, i guess the brain compensates, like if you have one ear bunged up with wax the brain eventualy compnesates by boosting the sound from the good ear?

I found that agrivating....even though I had it turned way down. I hope my hearing isnt messed up cause the right and center sounded louder than the left side to me. Also toward the end I could hear some of the high signals but only on a certain pan...not sure if it was an actual note or an electronic sound other than the click, odd none the less.

well i just checked the test it works right so if you cant hear some fequencies then
1. you have slight hearing loss in one of your ears or
2 your headphones are crappy

ok i just did the test with raido shack phones and i can stil hear around 40hz to 22khz with them evenly, so i know the test works. The results however may vary. The panning is extreme hard left 3 seconds hard right 3 seconds and stereo 3 seconds then the next tone. The steps are like this 10hz 20hz 30hz 40hz 50hz 60hz 70hz 80hz 90hz 100hz 200hz 300hz 400hz 500hz 600hz 700hz 800hz 900hz 1k 2k 3k 4k 5k 6k 7k 8k 9k 10k 11k 12k 13k 14k 15k 16k 17k 18k 19k 20k 21k 22k so dont be supprised if you lose the very end as 22k is beyond typical human hearing. On good phones you should be able to hear at least 20hz-20khz.

Last edited:
doulos said:
On good phones you should be able to hear at least 20hz-20khz.
Not really -- the accepted working range for human hearing is 20Hz to 20KHz, but that doesn't mean people functionally hear that wide a range.......

Most adults are lucky to hear beyond 17KHz..... and the low end drops off sharply for most people below 40-50Hz......

I'm an old guy, and probably those cannon I shot off during the civil war damaged my hearing some, but I can hear 15000 Hz (although not 15001!). My wife, who is considerably older than I am (14 months...what's that, dear? Ow! OOOH! Stop that, you're hurting me!)

Where was I! Oh yes, my lovely wife has the unimpaired hearing of a 20-year-old.

Yeah - lp I can't hear a notch over 15K myself - my wife can hear up there though, she's a pup - but I can surely hear low...I'm messing around 32Hz and I still got that at least.

blue bear you are correct Sir the audio range of average adults is getting less and less as we advance in technology more people more loud machenery and now more young teens blasting there car stereos so loud it shakes your windows when you pull upto a stop light

but ill say this i ment that if your hearing is fine you should be able to hear 20hz to 20k on good headphones but i hear that you lose your hearing with age alone so nevermind that statment

Back