Heard a Peavey 6505 this weekend...

amra

I have to say, I was really impressed. The guy was plugged straight into it, with a lower end shecter guitar and a Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the neck, and some kind of coil-splittable duncan humbucker in the bridge. He was getting some amazing tones out of it. Everything from super heavy, full on metal riffs to bluesy sounding leads. The other bands playing had everything from Marshall JCM2000s to Mesa Dual Rectis, and the tone this guy was getting smoked them all. I was impressed enough to wait around and talk to him about his rig after the show.

For the record I don't own nor have I ever even thought about the Peavey 6505 before. But I damn sure did last night.

I've met alot of people who had a poor opinion of Peavey amps by default and they've changed their mind as soon as they heard a 5150 (6505) in the right hands. That's what happened to me, and then I ended up buying one :D

Peavey does have some great sounding amps for metal and hard rock. It's to bad some people have a bad vibe towards them.

Hey I admit it, I was one of them. Well, I never actively DISLIKED Peavey amps, I had just never heard a Peavey that impressed me, or had a tone that I wanted. I have jammed with a lot of guys that had them over the years, and none of them had anything but average tone. Not good. Not bad. Just your basic generic metal tone. I never really gave their stuff a second thought, for that reason.

Like Metalhead said, the 6505 just changed my mind. If I ever come across a good deal on one, I will jump on it.

I own an older peavey butcher that I think is great for rock and that 80s metal sound. Not a HUGE fan of the 5150 or 6505 amps, but I'd gladly take one of those over a JCM2000 or a Rect.

Back