HEAR YE! HEAR YE! The Otari MX-5050 8 track is UNBALANCED!!!

Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I recently got one of these otari mx5050 8tracks and when I go out of my board with a 1/4" TRS to XLR in the input of the tape machine I get no signal. I tried a TS 1/4" also. When I plug a microphone directly into the machine I get a signal.

I don't have one, but I think the Otaris have a different XLR pinout, where pin 3 is hot instead of pin 2. Have you tried rewiring the one of your cables that way?

input/output of the Otari MX-5050 8 track 1/2" recorder is as follows:

Tip = hot signal
Ring = ground
Sleeve = ground

... don't let the XLR jacks fool ya.

-callie-
Yeah the old thread... and now I wonder if a 'first time reader' of this thread is scratching his head trying to figure out what exactly the author meant to say by tipping, ringing and sleeving an XLR Jack. ;)

:D

Yeah. Sorry my verbiage was a little off :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much I've changed in 4 years. Kinda scary. lol

Last edited:
It's amazing how much I've changed in 4 years. Kinda scary. lol
heh heh :) , and hopefully all those non-human creatures survived during those long 4 years and still are hopping and creeping around.

So, just to make it perfectly clear for humans who may care to know, is it:
Pin3 - signal ("hot"),
Pin2+Pin1 - Ground , on mx5050 ????

Also, I guess, in the "era of used only analog machines" - you really never know, as there is always a chance, that somebody could mod the machine (make it "normal", sort of speak) before it gets to a "current owner". So the test is the only way to figure things out.

I have a Otari MX-50 2 track and the XLR's are the same, pin 3 hot, 1 & 2 ground. Also, My tascam M3500 console has several XLR's wired like that on the master section for the 2 track in/out, studio and control room feeds, etc.

heh heh :) , and hopefully all those non-human creatures survived during those long 4 years and still are hopping and creeping around.

So, just to make it perfectly clear for humans who may care to know, is it:
Pin3 - signal ("hot"),
Pin2+Pin1 - Ground , on mx5050 ????

Also, I guess, in the "era of used only analog machines" - you really never know, as there is always a chance, that somebody could mod the machine (make it "normal", sort of speak) before it gets to a "current owner". So the test is the only way to figure things out.

Yes, and Yes. Last I checked anyway. It's been a few years.

Old 24 tracks that's all that was available on them too, 24 RCA plugs on the MCI24 I've worked on. Old days your deck was less than 15ft from your board, so unbalanced was viable. As we wanted to hide them, noisy beasts they are, 15ft was not long enough for an iso room and noise of unbalanced cabling was too much to bear. Wanna snazz up your rig, build a DI loom. a simple one rackspace panel can be drilled for 8 xlrs and rca, using point to point wiring those transformers, albeit smaller could be glued and zip tied to panel, or dress out however you want, but you'd be far happier fixing your I/O, as 15ft is never enough, and not worth lugging up stairs. Buy 8 rapco di's and remove a paralleled 1/4 jack, add one RCA. Thats a 90-120$ project. As Bonus, you get a ground lift!

I have a Otari MX-50 2 track and the XLR's are the same, pin 3 hot, 1 & 2 ground. Also, My tascam M3500 console has several XLR's wired like that on the master section for the 2 track in/out, studio and control room feeds, etc.

They rewired some of your board to interface with pin 2 gear, which was typically outboard, like EQ. Pin 2 hot is a older 20+ year old British wiring spec. All modern, or past 20 years gear is pin three hot. This is an important sticky post for the newbs, as the gear they may get a killer deal on could potential be that old pin 2 hot stuff. If you interface a balanced line between pin 2 and pin 3 hot, you will get one legged sound. Or 180 degree phase cancellation. Simple fix though, resolder to current standard.

All modern, or past 20 years gear is pin three hot.

Dude. You are out of phase :-0 , you got that backwards. Pin 2 "hot" is now standard, literally: EIA RS-297-A. A lot of older American market gear is pin 3 hot. And I'm not sure this thread needed to be revived....

Back