Headphones needed

ollie99

I need to buy some headphones for my music tech class at school. The idea is that they are worth about £100 because they will be needed for mixing because everyone at school can't have a pair of monitors in a classroom.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

I used HD280s through college and still have them.
The were comfortable over long periods which is more important than I realised.

They also sound great for the price.
Goes without saying, but check your stuff on monitors where possible.
Even if you just book the college studio for half an hour each week to gloss over everything, it'll be worth it.

I used HD280s through college and still have them.
The were comfortable over long periods which is more important than I realised.

They also sound great for the price.
Goes without saying, but check your stuff on monitors where possible.
Even if you just book the college studio for half an hour each week to gloss over everything, it'll be worth it.

I'll check them out thanks.
Yeah I think I will be able to book it out during lunches to check with stuff - it's all new facilities and we're the first year taking the course at the school so there's only 15 of us using it so it should be easy to get time in it and awesome! :D

I'll check them out thanks.
Yeah I think I will be able to book it out during lunches to check with stuff - it's all new facilities and we're the first year taking the course at the school so there's only 15 of us using it so it should be easy to get time in it and awesome! :D

Cool. Lucky man.
I think at both my college and uni I was part of the last year to use the old crappy setup. :facepalm:

Dude.....who are you quoting?

Ollie..I love them.
The headband padding is starting to fall apart, but my pair is maybe 6 years old and they got a lot of abuse.
Stereo image is an obvious problem, and the bass can be slightly misleading, but other than that I can 99% confidently mix on them.

What I mean is, I could happily mix on them all day and then spend ten minutes on monitors fixing the blind spots..You know?

Ollie..I love them.
The headband padding is starting to fall apart, but my pair is maybe 6 years old and they got a lot of abuse.
Stereo image is an obvious problem, and the bass can be slightly misleading, but other than that I can 99% confidently mix on them.

What I mean is, I could happily mix on them all day and then spend ten minutes on monitors fixing the blind spots..You know?

Cool I think I'll probably get them then, there's only so much you can do with headphones so being 99% confident with a mix is pretty good :)

My recomedations would be shure SRH440, beyerdynamic DT770 or as mentioned above. I find the Beyer's work really well and come in a variety of Ohm versions allowing for matching with the output of the device that will be driving them. Stay away from the 600Ohm version unless you want a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Hands down. I've used many in this price range and they seem to be the best representation of what you are actually doing to a mix. And this is coming from a Sennheiser guy. Should be right around your budget. They cost $155 in the states.

Sony MDR's are nice for headphones, n not a bad price. PreSonus HD7s aren't bad either. Marshall Monitor just came out too, haven't heard too much feedback about them yet but marshall's obviously a well established brand for music equipment. I'm sure you know that headphones aren't a replacement for studio monitors, but if I was going to buy some headphones for mixing I'd prolly just rock w/ the Sony MDR's.

Back