headphones / magnets / hard drive ?

smtcharlie

emotion over sonics
I have been experiencing very flaky behavior from my laptop recently...and it occurred to me. I usually keep a pair of headphones right on the top of my laptop. Like all the time.

Arern't there magnets in headphones? And aren't magents really bad for hard drives?

Anyone have a more educated opinion on if this could be damaging to a computer or not? Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Yeah, they do contain magnets, but i doubt they would do any harm. If they were a perticular model with an unusually 'large' magnet inside, then maybe? but otherwise i would say no.

They are AKG K-55's (cheapo headphones)...so I doubt that there is anything special about them.

Thanks for the replies...we all struggle with this I'm sure, but I like things to continue to work after I have them set up! Sometimes I find "good practice" posts just as interesting as "good recording technique" posts...

I was thinking about it at work, and if there would be any potential harm, they would definately mention it somewhere when purchasing the headphones. Theres alot of people out there who use laptops, and im sure there would be 'warning messages' going around if there is any potential harm.

Tifstorey said:
I was thinking about it at work, and if there would be any potential harm, they would definately mention it somewhere when purchasing the headphones. Theres alot of people out there who use laptops, and im sure there would be 'warning messages' going around if there is any potential harm.

The probability is pretty low, mainly because of the distances involved. You'd be hard-pressed to get the magnet of a pair of headphones within an inch of the drive's platter, and even then, you'd probably have two or three large metal plates between them.

Don't get be wrong, it's still not a bright idea to leave your headphones sitting there, but the odds are very high that it has nothing to do with the problems the original poster is experiencing. :D

Yeah thats what i thought, but it still made me think.. Like i said on the last post, they would give out warning messages if any harm could be caused...

Back