Headphones for recording drums

stillnoname

Hi, the problem I am having is that when I record drums with the guitar and click track going through my headphones, the drums drown out the sound so much that I can barely hear what is coming through my headphones. I keep turning up the mix, but my ears can only handle so much.

Does anyone know of any good headphones for under $100 that would block out the live sound of my drums enough so that I can hear the mix? I have tried the Sennheiser EH150, and it does a pretty good job, but I'm sure there is better. Some of the noise cancellation headphones seem cool, but expensive. Some of the other 'DJ' headphones from Sennheiser look pretty good, like the HD215, but it's a little too pricey for now too. If all else fails, I might go with the EH150 since I have used it before elsewhere and it would be a big step up from my current headphones (just using cheapo ones now, don't even remember the name).

Try the Sennheiser DH 280 Pros. They've got a nice tight fit and get very loud and sound great. And for only 100 bucks.

I HIGHLY recommend going for something like the ER6i, made by Etymotic Research. They block out a ridiculous amount of sound and also sound damned good for something so small.

I was using HD 280 Pros before I got these, and would never go back.

They're about $70 in the US.

those "extreme isolation" type cans work well for this sort of thing. they attenuate the environment exactly like shooter muffs or similar. i had a pair that were branded "vic firth" (i seriously doubt the company actually made them), but they finally just fell apart. they worked quite well for tracking rawk drums. however, they sort of sounded like crap overall, so you definitely wouldnt want to use them for any kind of critical listening.
a

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=isolation+headphones

+1 on the Vic Firth. They were like 40-50 bucks at GC, and while mine haven't fallen apart (3 years and counting) they do a good job of cutting out the room sound. Agreed, you wouldn't want to use them for anything but monitoring when you're tracking... And if you want a quality version then plan on spending twice that.

Some of the isolation headphones can be like "crushing your head" - the firths aren't too bad in comparison to others -so if possible try them out for comfort 1st.

Ok, this works for some more than others but this works really well for me. Get like 20$ Skullcandy Earbuds (They are called Ink'd) and you know those headphones that construction workers use? Get some of those (You can get them at the dollar store or home depot) and wear those over your Skullcandy earbuds and BOOM you payed 30$ for a great noise isolation and your timing is perfect on your mix.

Back