Headphones for drum tracking...

WATYF

...happier than you.
I need some cans for tracking drums... here are my requirements.

1) Cheap.

2) uh....... Cheap.

That's about it. I obviously want something decent that won't fall apart after fifteen seconds of use. I'm the only one that'll be using them, so I don't need to worry about idiot drummers treating them like crap. I just want something that will sound decent and barely cost anything.

Anybody got experience with good, cheap cans?

WATYF

(p.s. I know aboot the MoreMe cans, but I'd rather get something I can see in person before buying... unless enough people come along and swear on their mommy's grave that those are the best cheap headphones in the known universe. :P)

Well, I've got a pair of MoreMe's on the way - should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. I usually use Sony MDR 7506 (not cheap).

Dont waist your money on anything like the more me headphones or sony,s.

I bought a pair of the vic firth drummers headphones and it was the best money I have ever spent.
They allow me to record with out having to turn the music up so loud that its tearing my head off and ruinning my ears.
I think the vic firth are on sale now at musicians friends for about 39.00 whick is 20 bucks cheaper than I paid but are still worth every penny.
One thing to remember about these, They are not sony,s or akg,s
or fostex. They sound like shit but atleast you can hear what you are doing with these headphones and not keep doing damage to your ears. They are not for mixing down or cassual listening. They are for Recording and protection of your ears.

Last edited:
WATYF said:
I need some cans for tracking drums... here are my requirements.

1) Cheap.

2) uh....... Cheap.

(p.s. I know aboot the MoreMe cans, but I'd rather get something I can see in person before buying... unless enough people come along and swear on their mommy's grave that those are the best cheap headphones in the known universe. :P)
Well, you can buy them, try 'em for 30 days or so, and if you don't like them for any reason, return the MoreMe's for a full refund. Are they "the best cheap headphones in the known universe?" Damned if I know, but they're pretty good and they do the job for most people -for pretty cheap.

Are the moreme's also isolation - less leakage also?

and where should I look for 'em?

looks like I have a similar thread going....oops

junplugged said:
Thanks for the info, nice price too, I'm surprised :)
My primary business is running a studio; the MoreMe's are a sideline that grew out of my frustration with a lot of higher dollar phones that kept breaking. I got tired of picking up expensive phones off the floor and not knowing whether they'd work or not for the next session. I found these but no stores were interested in carrying them, so I decided to distribute them.

They're rugged, loud, and they're cheap. They don't bleed, and they have fairly good isolation. Are they great sounding? No, they're just ok, but they're good enough for tracking.

Not cheap but the Etymotic ( http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.asp ) phones simply cannot be beat when it comes to both sound quality and isolation. I use them all the time and I can clearly hear them above the house sound when I need to listen to something critical in high noise situations.

Uh, people,

Here's WATYF's original question:

WATYF said:
I need some cans for tracking drums... here are my requirements:

1) Cheap.

2) uh....... Cheap.

That's about it. I obviously want something decent that won't fall apart after fifteen seconds of use. I'm the only one that'll be using them, so I don't need to worry about idiot drummers treating them like crap. I just want something that will sound decent and barely cost anything.

Anybody got experience with good, cheap cans?
I think he's basically looking for something REALLY cheap that will do the job.

lol... $330 a pair... yeah, that definitely falls outside my definition of "cheap cans". :D

WATYF

Sorry guys, cheap is relative and my idea of $79.00 phones compared to my $285.00 Remote Audio cans is relatively cheap.

But you're right, I didn't read his entire post and his concern for drummer's treatment of most phones you give them.

Back