Headphone out on amp

eternalpayn

Hey everyone, just got a simple question:
Will using the headphone out jack on an amp give you the sound of the amp when recording, or do I have to mic it?

Yes and No

It will give you amp simulation which isn't ideal for recording, it never sounds anywhere close to as good as micing that sucker.

It will give you amp simulation which isn't ideal for recording, it never sounds anywhere close to as good as micing that sucker.
Yep. It'll give you an amp simulation - IF you're lucky. Most likely it will sound like a box of bees with distortion and clunky when clean...

Mic it up! (if loudness is a problem and you want to do quiet at home recordings, look into getting a sansamp type thing (like a pod or whatever)).

Alright, thanks. It's not loudness I'm concerned with, it's picking up background noise. (Got a pretty noisy place here)

bees.jpeg

Alright, thanks. It's not loudness I'm concerned with, it's picking up background noise. (Got a pretty noisy place here)

Well if your using the right mic you can drastically reduce any background noise. What type of noise are we talking about, other instruments? traffic?

If you're room is noisy, dont use a condensor.
Use a dynamic (like an SM57 or similar) and shove it right against the grill.
Make sure all fans, heating, etc. is turned off if they are really that loud in the first place.

The other option is to build an iso-box for your amp.

Mike

The kind of noise I'm talking about is a dog, a lot of siblings, and the fact that the only place I can do my recording is the game room. :P Thanks for the help, I think that's the kind of mic I just got. (Before when I was micing amps I was using a gaming headset... It was pretty ridiculous looking.)

Back