Headphone monitors recomendations

Fishybob

I know that I'm gonna get spanked royally about this but here goes...

My control room acoustics suck... tiny room, not enough absorbtion... not enough room to put much more in! :(

It's pretty great at judging the highs but the lower mids and bass levels are all over the place. For this reason (and a small budget) I want a good pair of headphones to check bass levels. What can you guys suggest??? :confused:

Priority: Open sound, accurate bass frequency response, Around £50 (about $80). A tough task... but surely I'm not the only one to have come to this outcome. :o

*** I stress these are just to 'check' the frequencies in that area.

To add to this: I already have DT100's (for tracking) but they tend to reduce the highs and lows like a frown pattern. And some bog standard Sennheiser hifi headphones that boost the highs and lows! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article.

I understand that headphones aren't the right tool for mixing. What I want to do is to 'check' mixes through them... in much the same way as you would burn a cd and run it into another room/car/etc. It just isn't practical (time, cost and energy) to continually burn and run into other rooms.

I want to use the headphones as another reference point within my monitoring environment, not replace it.

I've seen on the search function that people DO check mixes with cans at about £200+. I was hoping that there could be a cheaper alternative. :confused:

At US$99 each, these two are just a bit above your price range, but seem to be the de facto standards in the under US$100 price range amongst most people here (and who knows maybe you can eBay a pair for a lot less):

Check out either the Sennheiser HD280 Pro or the Sony MDR7506. Both are at the same price and have very good sound for that price. Which one is "better" is a matter of subjestive opinion; they are both well-built and get the job done well, it's just that some people prefer the sound and/or comfort of one over the other. I have the Sonys myself (an older model number, but the same headphones as the 7506s) and I love them and prefer them over the Sennheisers. Many other folks with good ears and skills prefer the Sennheisers over the Sonys. If you have a local dealer that carries them both, give them both a listen and decide for yourself which one works best for your head as far as both sound and comfort.

G.

Back