Headphone mix :(

Ezekiel

I have been forced to do headphone mixing for the time being because of my living situation and here is my first one. There is stuff wrong with this but what is glaringly, obviously wrong? I'm fairly new to mixing as well so any help no matter how basic would be appreciated :)

https://soundcloud.com/ryanjhollenbeck/mix-09062013

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not hearing much bass on this one at all - you can probably add a bit more bottom and bring the level up a couple dBs.

I'm thinking you could be working the stereo field a bit more - delays panned, drumkit spread wider - when I toggle back and forth between mono and stereo there's not the amount of difference to the sound that I usually hear. (By contrast, the tune that follows this one on Soundcloud, the one with the panned acoustic guitars, has a lovely stereo spread. And more low end.)

Last edited by a moderator:
First, hit 'Edit' on your post and add an 'h' to the URL. :D

I'm not hearing much bass on this one at all - you can probably add a bit more bottom and bring the level up a couple dBs.

I'm thinking you could be working the stereo field a bit more - delays panned, drumkit spread wider - when I toggle back and forth between mono and stereo there's not the amount of difference to the sound that I usually hear. (By contrast, the tune that follows this one on Soundcloud, the one with the panned acoustic guitars, has a lovely stereo spread. And more low end.)

Thanks for the insight :) I was afraid of giving the mix too much low end on account of using headphones so I then ended up doing the opposite lol

Believe it or not, I mix on headphones 80% of the time and my stuff turns out ok. The trick is to ALSO mix and monitor em on regular speakers and studio monitors wherever you have access to. Oh, and use VISUAL EQs - the type that bring up spectrums for all 20k freqs. Even go to your nearest music store if you must!

What headphone mixing? Youll be fine...

I agree that the low end isnt coming through. The drums could be ever so slightly louder until you can feel them punch through. They sound a little bassless and quiet. Kind of disappear when things get noisy.

Back