Headphone Mix

offcenter2005

This is a rough mix of a song I just finished. I mixed it on headphones but ill have more time to do a detailed mix on my monitors tomorrow. The song is called Saturday night. Thanks.....

Saturday night

Sounds good...would sound better with a real drum kit...nothing sounds harsh or overly compressed in the mix...breaths nicely...Mix is nice and clear yet still has warmth which is what makes a good mix for me...a balance of low and high end.

Sounds good...would sound better with a real drum kit...nothing sounds harsh or overly compressed in the mix...breaths nicely...Mix is nice and clear yet still has warmth which is what makes a good mix for me...a balance of low and high end.

I do need to put real drums on this. I have limited space when recording at home and to track drums i have to drive across town to a spot i rent for recording bands.

I also think i need to really get on it with my monitors. The headphones have a really bad high end response problem. The hats seem a little too sizzley and the chorus is just too bitey for me. But i think if i get time i can fix that on my studio monitors today.

I also think i need to really get on it with my monitors.

Definitely. I listened to it on both a Technics/KEF home stereo setup and a pair of Sony MDR-7506 phones. It was too bright on both, although the Sony headset is a tad bright to begin with.

Kind of a no doubt kind of sound to my ears
Couple of things that jumped out at me, splash cymbals are too much, definitely a sample sound you need to reign them back in. The drums for my taste went too crazy busy at the end
The bass sits OK but when you have it solo for a couple of bars it could use some more punch, maybe split the track and use some different compression settings at that part
Vocal levels are OK but I had a hard time understanding the lyrics since they weren't all that clear, maybe some different EQ to bring out the clarity or a retrack with different mic/technique

All purely subjective of course and overall I thought the mix and the song were pretty good
As always YMMV

overall sound is a bit too bright for my taste. the high-hats are a bit thin. try to lower the highs with a shelf. i would also feature the vocals a bit more. guitar would benefit from some lower mids.
for a headphone mix not bad. :-)
what headphones did you use?

overall sound is a bit too bright for my taste. the high-hats are a bit thin. try to lower the highs with a shelf. i would also feature the vocals a bit more. guitar would benefit from some lower mids.
for a headphone mix not bad. :-)
what headphones did you use?

They are just 30 dollar headphones from FYE. Ear pollution. I knew that the highs were a little too much. I need to remix it on my monitors.

Cool song, nice performing and sounds. I agree with whats already been said, definately bring up the vox a touch, the highs are very cluttered from around 3k and up. You could place things better in their own spots by filling in below 3k,

Remember there are 5 octaves of frequencies from 50hz to 3.2k i.e. (and only one octave from 5k-10k)

Maybe add some 1k to the vox, maybe 600hz to a guitar, 250hz on the snare etc. and clear up the highs by rolling some things off up there, you choose.

Overall I think its quite good, really enjoyed the listen.

Cool song, nice performing and sounds. I agree with whats already been said, definately bring up the vox a touch, the highs are very cluttered from around 3k and up. You could place things better in their own spots by filling in below 3k,

Remember there are 5 octaves of frequencies from 50hz to 3.2k i.e. (and only one octave from 5k-10k)

Maybe add some 1k to the vox, maybe 600hz to a guitar, 250hz on the snare etc. and clear up the highs by rolling some things off up there, you choose.

Overall I think its quite good, really enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for the advice. Im remixing it now on my monitors. Headphones are really hard to judge the lows and highs. Drums need some tweaking. With ezdrummer im gonna try to makeit sound a bit more human.

Pretty good. I agree with what everyone else has said. The drums seem a little loud too, in addition to the sizzling highs. Guitars seem a little low and seem to have the mids missing. Overall good! Glad you put this up here.

I kinda like fake drums sometimes. They can sound really good and studio quality when done right. Real drums would fit a song like this better, but I don't have a problem with the fake drums. I think if the high hats were lower and not so harsh it would sound more realistic.

Decent tune. I can only pile on the above comments. I'm surprised you got that good of a mix on headphones. Everytime I do a headphone mix they never come out the same way twice.

Decent tune. I can only pile on the above comments. I'm surprised you got that good of a mix on headphones. Everytime I do a headphone mix they never come out the same way twice.

Pretty good. I agree with what everyone else has said. The drums seem a little loud too, in addition to the sizzling highs. Guitars seem a little low and seem to have the mids missing. Overall good! Glad you put this up here.

I kinda like fake drums sometimes. They can sound really good and studio quality when done right. Real drums would fit a song like this better, but I don't have a problem with the fake drums. I think if the high hats were lower and not so harsh it would sound more realistic.

Thanks. I knew when mixing this the highs in my headphones are not responsive and i always overcompensate when mixing. And with mids they seem too bitey so i under compensate. Ill post the new mix im working on with my monitors. Thanks for the input.

Even with the few tweaks the mix needs it still sounds really nice overall for a homerecording...you definately knoiw how to mix.

Even with the few tweaks the mix needs it still sounds really nice overall for a homerecording...you definately knoiw how to mix.

Thanks a lot. I Know it needs work. but im on the right track i think. I Randomized the quantization on the drums so its not so in time. I think it would help with a little more of a human feel. Ill try to finish today, im already getting a better feel of the mix on the monitors. Headphones are impossible to detail a mix on.

Back