Headphone mix for artist while recording

xbxrxixtx

I'm going to be tracking bass and kit together next weekend. The problem is I think I'll probably record the bass direct which means that the artists wont hear the bass out of the amp.

I have a mobile rig with my Macbook and MOTU 896HD, using Audiodesk software. I have no monitors and for tracking I'll use the phones output to hear what I'm recording. It's not the best setup but I'm ballin on a budget right now.

I've thought of two options to get extra headphone mixes, but could easily be missing something else.

1. Take the HiZ out of the DI to the bass amp and have the bass players listen to the headphones. This leaves the drummer with nothing unless I just get rid of headphones and hope I can keep the amp from bleeding all over the drum mics.

2. Don't know if this would work but could I make an extra bass track, output it with an unused channel direct out into the input of an amp and use the headphones for the drummer to hear the bass?

Any suggestions, especially that wont cost me?

The plan for the group is to record the bass direct and mic the kit together in one session, then go back depending on the bass sound and maybe mic the amp. Then in another session when the guitarist is available I'll track the guitars and then vocals sometime later.

So, let me just check this right in my head;

you have no monitors so you need headphones to monitor
the bass player is DI'ing straight into the MOTU 896HD or via a DI box with a link, but will probably need headphones
the drummer needs headphones

to my mind there are a couple of solutions;

firstly, as you suggest, link out of the DI into the bass amp, run the amp low and get the bass player to stand near his amp (or if the bass amp has a headphone out just plug some headphones into that)

alternatively you have another 8 outputs on the MOTU 896HD that can easily be attached to another headphone amp. even a dirt cheap one would do as long as it gets the volume up. you would also need some XLR to jack cables to connect it up.

thirdly, something like the behringer MA400 for £24 would be perfect for something like this. just run it in line with DI so the bass player can get some of himself int he headphones and you can always send some of the drums back to it from the outputs on the Motu

Back