Headphone Jack on two computers makes same sound

SamW10

Hey guys,
I've got a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop, and I've got them both running into my mixer via 1/8" to RCA, and they both have a strange sound. It's like a siren (low to high pitch, back to low etc.) but more crackly.

What is this sound and how do I get rid of it? It doesn't happen when I plug my iPod in on the end.

Thanks!

Hey guys,
I've got a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop, and I've got them both running into my mixer via 1/8" to RCA, and they both have a strange sound. It's like a siren (low to high pitch, back to low etc.) but more crackly.

What is this sound and how do I get rid of it? It doesn't happen when I plug my iPod in on the end.

Thanks!

Dells and most PCs can't go into a mixer with out lifting the ground on their power supplys!!!
Macs you never have to worry about for they don't have a ground on their power supply to start with.
What you'll have to do is to go to a hardware store and purchase a two prong AC adapter. The three prongs of the power supply go into the adapter and what you have on the other end of the adapter are the two straight prongs (hot and neutral) with no ground prong.
This will fix your problem.
Sorry to overly explain this ---but I've tried to tell people about this in the past and I get blank looks of "WTF are you talking about", And it's called a ground lift you say? I can believe that some people haven't heard of this before.

:cool:

True very true, but you still need to lift the ground on PCs or you'll have a noise problem going into a mixer.

I know you're talking about a desktop PC, so what do I do about a laptop? I've already got a usb interface, but I want it to be a seperate output.

I know you're talking about a desktop PC, so what do I do about a laptop? I've already got a usb interface, but I want it to be a seperate output.

You'll have to do the same to the laptop! just lift the ground on the power supply.

I actually carry one of those adapters in my gig case. Some old restaurants and such only have 2 prong outlets.
You can always take an old extension cord and snip the ground pin off.
Alternatively, some non grounded extension chords will accept the 3 prongs with the ground pin fitting flush against the edge but not inserted.

Back