*&#$@* headphone jack insert!!!!

MM2

The headphone jack in my 464 is in a state of disrepair; I have to constantly wiggle my headphone jack in order to find the sweet spot, and even that won't stay. I'm sure on of the contact points must be loose, bent out of the way or something. Anyone else had this problem and been able to solve it? I'm leery of opening the machine, and even if I did, I believe the jack is encased in some chastity belt-like contraption where you can't get at it? Any ideas?

Yo, MM2;
Sorry for the blank reply above, 'puter trouble. Anyway, I had the same problem with a used 488 I bought for my songwriting part-
ner. I bought a jack from Tascam which was, as I recall, $3 or so. The shipping was a- bout $7, so the part cost about $10. It cost me about $40 at an electronics shop to have it put in, for a total cost of $50. I guess it's your call whether your machine is worth spending that much on or if you want to keep it as-is. Hope this has been of help to you.

Chipper

You've got a bad headphone jack, or one of the connections to it is loose. Some types are soldered right to a circuit board inside the machine, and sometimes the solder joints break as a result of the jacks' retaining nut coming loose, or from a blow to the jack.
It's a common problem, but it doesn't sound like you're comfortable with opening the machine up.
Your best bet is to take it to a music store with a reputable service dept. 40-50 bucks sounds about right.

By my experience, every single Tascam portastudio I have ever used (or even just seen) has this problem. Perhaps Tascam could improve on the jacks they've used previously?

My 688 has two headphone jacks, and neither works well. The 488MkII I used a lot was exactly the same. Bleagh.

D.

Back