Headphone Amp

Cudmasters Los

I am looking for a rackmountable headphone amp in which I can plug the mix in from the back, and also have 6 to 8 outputs(independant) out the back as well, this is to send a signal to a vocal booth and a live recording room as well. Any suggestions on units?

Cudmasters,

I'm currently using a Behringer PowerPlay Pro XL HA4700. And yes, as most of us already know that Behringer gear tends to be pretty bad, but for a headphone amp this unit is great.

It has 4 headphone channels, each one you can plug in up to 2 headphones each (so. 8 users in total). It has a stereo main mix which gets outputted to all channels, but it also has an AUX IN for each of the 4 headphone outs so you can send another mix into the AUX IN for individual mixing requirments. You can adjust the level between the AUX IN and the main individually on each channel.

This way you could run one of the outs to the booth, and the other 3 can go to the live room. But you could also run the mirrored outs to the live room as well and have 7 headphones in the live room (3 mixes) and one in the booth.

Hope this helps.

Timmy J

My personal experiences go here;

Behringer HA series is nice for the price (really it is) but, you won't get remote audio level adjust for the folks in the both. I used this some time back when I was still in a single live room...cables everywhere. It was effective...you could wire up using this but you'd have to set levels for the performers...probobly not ideal.

Later, when after the remodel, I went with Furman...good gear...a little pricey if you ask me but I got the seperate controls for the drummer in "the box" and the iso booth.

There are others...I just don't get it why headphone amp distibution sysems have to be so darn expensive!

Good luck...let us know what you settle on and tell us how it worked out :D

punkin said:
My personal experiences go here;
Later, when after the remodel, I went with Furman...good gear...a little pricey if you ask me but I got the seperate controls for the drummer in "the box" and the iso booth.

How much did the Furman cost and what features did it have on it? (ie. channels, AUX ins, etc..)

I don't recall the cost...wrapped up in a bunch of other thing I was doing at the time.

I used the HR-6's in the drum room and the iso-booth...I also got a third unit just to have around...mounted them on portable stands so I could move them around...comes in handy when we do stuff in the big room for group recordings. I've got an HDS-6 at the console.

Could be a little over kill...if suspect that I could have used the Behringer HA as the driver/splitter and the Furman HA-2's instead...do some homework...call Furman and ask them how to put together what you're looking for.

There are several ways to skin this cat. You'll need a main distribution amp then satellite amps with controls in the remotes. Check around...I'm thinking I probobly spent too much.

punkin

I have both the Furman HDS-6 and the Behringer unit that was previously talked about. I think that thing was $99 when I got it. I hate Behringer stuff in general, but the headphone amp is pretty good. If you're not going to spend the amount that the Furman costs, definitely go with the Behringer.

If you can spend for the Furman, it is definitely the way to go. It relieves a lot of headaches when everyone can worry about their own mix. Once you get the hang of sending 1-4 aux's and a stereo mix, it usually goes pretty smoothly. One thing to watch out for though is that some people just can't get a good headphone mix themselves...I occasionally find myself helping tune in a good mix.

I'm eyeballing a Presonus with 4 outs @ musicians friend for $99 which supposedly sounds good and can get very loud. I'm scared as hell to buy behringer stuff with alot of the negative feedback I hear around here. I can't comment on any of there stuff though because I have'nt bought any (berry free).

Thanks for all of your tips, now my main concern is do all units have inputs and outputs from the rear panel?

Last edited:
Cardioidpotent said:
The next thing you know, they'll be accusing you of being a plant for Carvin. :rolleyes:

I wish they'd pay me or something. I really like their stuff.

Back