Head replacement

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
I´m about to change my snare batter head. I have two options Ambassador and Emperor, both coated. I play pop & rock kind of thing. I´ve never tried the second one. What would you recommend???

Thanks
TS

My favorite is the frosted Pinstripe. I've been using that as my snare batter head for years. Not that that really answers your question! :o

I'd go for the Ambassador.

Emperor's are 2-ply, so won't be as loud or have the snap the Ambassador's got

or you could try

the fiberskin3 ambassador, kind of a nice compromise between the two in weight... nice tone. If you have money to burn, try the Earhtone skin heads... they really add something to a snare.

I use coated ambassador batter and diplomat resonant, Ive tried coated emperor x batter with abassador clear resonant, and I had the batter head pretty tight but it felt like the stick didnt bounce very well of the head, and it also had a very dead sound when hit in the center of the black dot. I would recomend ambassador batter head for your snare. It sounds great and is very durable. (if youre not an extremely punishing drummer... :)

Bulls Hit said:
I'd go for the Ambassador.

Emperor's are 2-ply, so won't be as loud or have the snap the Ambassador's got

Thanks Bulls Hit. It wasn´t clear for me I thought emperor´s could give me the same snap or even better. It´s all about the 2-ply thing right???.

TS

Anders said:
I use coated ambassador batter and diplomat resonant, Ive tried coated emperor x batter with abassador clear resonant, and I had the batter head pretty tight but it felt like the stick didnt bounce very well of the head, and it also had a very dead sound when hit in the center of the black dot. I would recomend ambassador batter head for your snare. It sounds great and is very durable. (if youre not an extremely punishing drummer... :)

Same combo I´m used to. I don´t punish my drums, I try to play with dynamics. Some people who have listened to a clip posted lately said that I play too soft, I have to hit hard and bang my cymbals. ;) That´s what I´m gonna do next time.

TS

TamaSabian said:
It´s all about the 2-ply thing right???.

TS

Yeah Emperor's, Pinstripes etc. will give you a thick, even sound while the single ply heads pick the nuances more clearly, ghost notes etc.

If you take an Ambassador, put a mattress on top, a nice thick inner sprung job, and play that - will give you an idea how the emperor sounds

Back