head/cab question

DTBlalock said:
I am looking into buying a head and cab to build half stack. I play at churches in fairly large rooms. Do you think these can get the job done?

http://www.behringer.com/GMX1200H/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/BG412V/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Oh yeah, its cheap. Im a kid. Im poor. So we are speaking of this being good factoring in budget.

What type of sound are you after? I've got a little over 3 years experience playing every week in church both in smaller rooms and in 1400+ seat auditoriums, so I may be able to help you out a bit. If you want, naming some of the songs you play will help out.

Half stacks are very versatile. And extremely huge. I don't know about you, but I don't have any roadies and I've been looking into finding someone to trade my Fender DeVille 4-10in speaker amp for the 2-12in version. That would be nice. A great tube amp sounds better the louder, and almost every place I've been in has had absolutely astounding acoustics or a PA system to get it heard whatever volume your at for the engine congregation.

I have more suggestions...but just let me know if you're interested otherwise I'll shut up. lol

thehouseofshawn said:
Half stacks are very versatile. And extremely huge. I don't know about you, but I don't have any roadies and I've been looking into finding someone to trade my Fender DeVille 4-10in speaker amp for the 2-12in version. That would be nice. A great tube amp sounds better the louder, and almost every place I've been in has had absolutely astounding acoustics or a PA system to get it heard whatever volume your at for the engine congregation.

I have more suggestions...but just let me know if you're interested otherwise I'll shut up. lol

Well yeah, half stacks are great things, but I can tell you right now that frequently playing in a church is an entirely different thing from playing at a club. Sometimes people will start complaining if the guitar is too loud, and most of the time the sound engineers won't know how to properly handle the sound from a half stack (either natural sound or mic'ed). That's why I'm asking about his specific situation.

well, I played in the school's church and we would never mic a half sack... it's got enough power and area to sound and to be listenede greatly all over the church... Also, you got to remembre that the priest does not allow it to be freakly loud... come on you are playing in a church... take it easy... and enjoy... I play in the church (400 people) with a fender deluxe '90... wiht the volume on 1,5 out of 10... a half stack is about dificult to handdle in those situations... not just becouse of the volume, but because it is too heavy.

If there is a mixer and speakers, you should get a guitar preamp and run it throug the mixer...

well, I played in the school's church and we would never mic a half sack... it's got enough power and area to sound and to be listenede greatly all over the church... Also, you got to remembre that the priest does not allow it to be freakly loud... come on you are playing in a church... take it easy... and enjoy... I play in the church (400 people) with a fender deluxe '90... wiht the volume on 1,5 out of 10... a half stack is about dificult to handdle in those situations... not just becouse of the volume, but because it is too heavy.

If there is a mixer and speakers, you should get a guitar preamp and run it through the mixer... if you want power... get the half stack... and tell the sound engineer that you want it to be as you like... and then he will see whether he needs to mic it or not... I wouldnt mic it thoug

Sorry, I should have made this more clear. I have friends host shows at churches, so really there are no church members there, just a lot of young people. So it really has nothing to do with church music. It's shows with many local bands that give 75% of profits to the church.

Ahhh...young people....WOOHOO!!!!! Put that halfstack in there and mic it up! Seems that volume is not so much of a concern, so have at it!

Back