hd24xr live recording

remco

StudioJunky
This is a live recording from the a dutch band called vixy.
They are pretty poppulair in the clubs and bars.

This is recorded on the hd24xr pre amps are from a verry old (1983) allen en
heath mixer.

As you may have read in others forums I'm @ first not exactly thrilled.
But hey the first band on the new system

I have to chance how i work now to get the results i want, I suppose

and here is the link:
http://www.jamfreak.com/jamstudio/Recorded/vixy/ShowLive.wma

what do you think, seriously

What bothers you about it? It sounds like you have good basic sounds to work with, the mix just needs some help.

remco said:
suggestions

The toms are panned a little wide for my taste wide, which isn't that big of a deal, except they are a little up front, and crowd a few other things out when they roll across. It is surprising how little panning it takes to get the sense of movement and space in a tom roll, and how far back they can be and still have impact.

The kick and bass seem a bit unfocused, and you have boosted them to be audible. This can lead to too much low low end, and make them sound like they aren't really a part of the mix, just unfocused low end all over the place.

More presence in those instruments can give you a good solid thump, all the kick and bass you could ask for, without that cloudy pillowy thing going on in the low end. They will also gel better with the rest of the mix.

After that it's probably time for some judicious reverb applications. :)

easychair said:
The toms are panned a little wide for my taste wide, which isn't that big of a deal, except they are a little up front, and crowd a few other things out when they roll across. It is surprising how little panning it takes to get the sense of movement and space in a tom roll, and how far back they can be and still have impact.

yes,no ...kinda
I pan the toms mostly 'as is', and this guy only usses a floor tom.
so when he goes from snare to tom it is from right-mid to mid-right

easychair said:
The kick and bass seem a bit unfocused, and you have boosted them to be audible. This can lead to too much low low end, and make them sound like they aren't really a part of the mix, just unfocused low end all over the place.
More presence in those instruments can give you a good solid thump, all the kick and bass you could ask for, without that cloudy pillowy thing going on in the low end.
Agreed i noticed myseft, as a mather of fact i don't like the low end from the a & h board

easychair said:
After that it's probably time for some judicious reverb applications. :)

They explicitly ask DON'T USE REVERB. at the end they agreed on a bit plate on vox and a little Sir on the mix to underline the fact that's its a live recording (all in one room)

Remco

Back