HD24/YAMAHA 02R MIXER / HELP NEEDED.

dogooder

I have my Alesis HD24 connected to my Yamaha O2R via light pipes. The 02R has three adat cards in it in slots 1,3,4. I know the light pipes etc. are connected correctly. I have a tune with 12 tracks. I want to record on track 13. I have track 13 armed but not in record mode. If I want to hear the mix, I have to set the boards cards 3,4, to digital on the I/O page. Then I can hear the mix but I can't hear my guitar that I want to record and am trying to monitor. If I go back into the board and set I/O page cards 3,4 to analog, I can hear my guitar but not the mix. I need to be able to hear the mix and my guitar of course. What do I have set wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have read the manual on routing, digital I/O and monitoring to no avail. Frustration is beginning to set in!
Help!
Thanx

It's been a while but isn't there a direct out facility that only sends 1-16 out of the digital cards? Could you have this mode engaged? Normally we used to record out to the busses, and then on the HD24 used the duplicate facility to get the recording onto the right channel, so track 9 on the HD24, was actually being fed by group one on the ADAT light pipe. The lack of preamps and mic inputs had us doing the 1,9,17 or 2,10,18 routing system - this is just what my memory says but it's been a very long time. We used the multiple ADAT ins only for mix down, not recording?

It's been a while but isn't there a direct out facility that only sends 1-16 out of the digital cards? Could you have this mode engaged? Normally we used to record out to the busses, and then on the HD24 used the duplicate facility to get the recording onto the right channel, so track 9 on the HD24, was actually being fed by group one on the ADAT light pipe. The lack of preamps and mic inputs had us doing the 1,9,17 or 2,10,18 routing system - this is just what my memory says but it's been a very long time. We used the multiple ADAT ins only for mix down, not recording

I do know slots 3,4 are the adat cards and are for channels 1-8, 9-16. Slot no 1, which I have an adat card inserted into is "dedicated to analog I/O 1-8? I think. I do know when I am plugged into channel 13 on the board, I don't see the signal on channel 13 on the HD24 channel when armed. If I go into the routing and route 13 to ouotput on 1 and arm it, then I see the signal on channel 1 on the HD24. I still don't hear the mix and if I did that, I will overwrite what is on channel one. On the in Digital I/O page on the mixer as I stated, there are settings for cards 3,4, to either set the cards for digital or internal analog. When I set them to analog, I hear my guitar but not the mix. When I set them to digital, I hear the mix but not the guitar. Another thing, when I am on the routing page it seems the channels can only be routed to 1 thru 8. There are no fields for 9 thru 16. How would I route channel 13 to output 13? I will look for the facility you are speaking of next time I get down there. It has to be some setting or routing that I have set up wrong. Tomorrow I am attending a ham radio fest in Wanyesville N.C. and that will take me all day. Thanx for chiming in, I will get this going. I don't have much choice.

I hope you do - the 02 always seemed to work like an analogue desk, in it's style, so kept up the groups and the direct outputs like an analogue desk did. Maybe the 1,9,17 links might be easier?

Here is a song we did on the equipment. The base player did all the recording and mixing. He is not available to ask questions to.
There are about 22 tracks being used on the HD24. I know he had an 0V1 set up next to the 02R and would run all the drum mics into the
0V1 and mix them then feed them to the 02R for recording. I am not exactly sure how he did it. The drums were usually recorded on 1-8 or
9-16. I can't remember how many drum mics but at least six.

The song I am working on has guitar, base, six separate drum tracks and I think
2 mixed drum tracks, a scratch vocal, and a click track. I should have at least channels 13 thru 24 to work with. I don't need the click track anymore
I could go over that.

You can set the inputs to either digital or analog. Since I have the adat cards hooked up with light pipes I have them set to digital.
That wasn't my question. If set to auto input, the machine will automatically allow you to monitor a track up to the punch in point and then switch to the incoming signal once record is engaged. It can do this for digital or analog inputs.

Last edited:
That wasn't my question. If the set to auto input, the machine will automatically allow you to monitor a track up to the punch in point and then switch to the incoming signal once record is engaged. It can do this for digital or analog inputs.
Will give that a shot, but not today, I have four hours driving time and a ham radio fest to go to. That sounds like it might be the answer?
thanx for your help and concern, it is appreciated.

I went into the world clock page on the 02R and saw that the card in slot no. 1 had nothing highlighted after it. I highlighted the Tape 1/2 icon and voila I could hear everything. The guitar was coming in on the channel it was plugged into. Cards 3,4 were still set to digital, I could hear the mix etc. I didn't try to record, I had been down there for hours messing around already. Next time I go down I will go for it. I think this has solved my problem? Will update.

Still stuck. Tried auto input, tried all input. No go. If I plug into channels 17-24, which are not assigned to the two cards used for
digital I/O, cards 3,4, then I can hear the input and the mix. If I plug into channels channels 1 thru 16 which are assigned to cards
3,4. Unless I switch the card assignment from digital to internal analog I cannot hear the guitar but can hear the mix. If I go back in
and assign cards 3,4 as digital I/O, I can hear the mix but not the input from the guitar. I have tried all input and auto input. Same
thing. I will keep plugging away.

I found the problem. It starts right at the beginning. I have been plugging the guitar into the 92R mixer.
I have to plug it into the HD24!! doh.

I have run into the same problem again. There are no canon jacks for microphones on the back of the HD24. If I plug a microphone into the
board I am up against the same old problem. I am at my wits end. On the HD24 I have tried all combos with the auto and all inputs. I need to
get to the bottom of this. It can't be that I can't run instruments through the 02R and not get a signal out to the HD24 because my cards are set to
digital on the 02R and I have to be set to internal analog to hear my incoming signal? Also, I cannot see any incoming signal on the meters although I can see them on the channel. If I switch the board from the digital cards to the internal analog, then I can see the signals on the meters and hear them
To sum up
with boards set to digital cards I can hear all channels playing and if I plug an instrument into the back of the HD24 I can monitor it and record it. If I plug into the
board I can see a signal at the channel but none on the meters and cannot monitor it or record it.

with the board set to internal analog, and an instrument plugged into the board I can monitor the incoming signal and see it on the meters but it doesn't send the
signal to the HD24.

Last edited:
That wasn't my question. If set to auto input, the machine will automatically allow you to monitor a track up to the punch in point and then switch to the incoming signal once record is engaged. It can do this for digital or analog inputs.
I am not using punch in and punch out points, I want to record a whole new track. I am not sure you are understanding my problem since I don't and probably can't put it across the right way.

Many, many....many years ago I used to record with both the O1V and O2R with T-Dif cards and Tascam recorders. Other than format, it shouldn't be different. Not sure why you are trying to input directly to the HD24 rather than through the O2R. It is a menu driven I/O system and you are going to have to get a handle on its complexities such as pre and post fader sends and such. Rather than trying to do this with an existing project, start a new project and plug a source into channel one of the O2R and figure out how to route it to every I/O, pre and post fader where possible. Then you'll have a better understanding of how it all works.

Recording is a matter of routing the mic input channel of the board to the digital card output of the target channel I/O for the recorder and setting the input to digital on the HD24 recorder, not analog. Monitoring is done in much the same way, in that you route the mic input channel along with the outputs of the channels with tracks recorded to the outputs your monitors or headphones are connected.

Dug up the manual. Start here with an input like a tone generator on Mic 1 and play around with routing it everywhere. Then figure out the HD24 returns back to the O2R and you should have what you need.

Screen Shot 08-18-22 at 09.41 AM.JPG

We sort of gave up really when you started talking about plugging the guitar directly into the HD24 - it's not how it's supposed to work. Your first post I think we all nodded at but couldn't work out why it wasn't working. The work flow should be totally simple - you seemed to have a handle on how it works, but clearly if 1-12 work then 13 is a problem, then something unusual is happening because the routing is in blocks of 8, so most common troubles are on channel 9 and 17 - crossing the 8/16 barriers. For yours to stop at 12 suggests there is something else happening here. Is the problem with signals going to the recorder, or from it? Can you take a project with music on ALL 24 and then get those individually on the mixer? That proves it's NOT a playback or monitoring issue. IS the simple stuff working right? Can you use just one light pipe from the mixer and see less moving on the first block, then by moving inputs on the HD24, can you see the 1-8 appear on 9-16 and then 17-24? That proves the inputs are working normally. Can you then send via light pipe to 1-8, 9-16 and 17-24 from mixer outs 1-8, 9-16 and 17-24. At some point it won't work. This lets you know what physical connections are working. The you can fiddle with folk cafe's routing screen and move away from a 1:1 setup. I'm wondering of you're just trying everything but in a bit of a random manner. Maybe a quick YouTube video? So we can see what you're doing and maybe say hang on - at 2:14, why did you push X or route Z?

Clearly, something is adrift, but your approach so far has been very difficult to follow. A video might really help - but it needs to show the connections, the screens, the settings etc etc

Many, many....many years ago I used to record with both the O1V and O2R with T-Dif cards and Tascam recorders. Other than format, it shouldn't be different. Not sure why you are trying to input directly to the HD24 rather than through the O2R. It is a menu driven I/O system and you are going to have to get a handle on its complexities such as pre and post fader sends and such. Rather than trying to do this with an existing project, start a new project and plug a source into channel one of the O2R and figure out how to route it to every I/O, pre and post fader where possible. Then you'll have a better understanding of how it all works.

Recording is a matter of routing the mic input channel of the board to the digital card output of the target channel I/O for the recorder and setting the input to digital on the HD24 recorder, not analog. Monitoring is done in much the same way, in that you route the mic input channel along with the outputs of the channels with tracks recorded to the outputs your monitors or headphones are connected.
Now that you mention it, I am going to try your approach. I started a new project quite awhile ago just to get familiar with the equipment again and not ruin an existing song. If I remember correctly I was running the signal through the board not the HD24? I recorded a click track on channel 2 and a guitar on channel 1 at the same time. I wasn't trying to monitor any prerecorded tracks at the time. I will go back to that and work it out. I was inputting directly into the HD24 because that was the only way I was able to monitor all the other 12 prerecorded tracks and monitor my incoming new track. I am pretty sure it is a routing problem which I need to learn more about. I have both hardcopies of the manuals for both units, but manuals are only so good. I am pretty sure my adat card in slot one is dedicated to digital I/O. I am not sure how and when the tape returns should be used and what for, and the 02R manual leaves a lot to be desired. When a signal is routed to a bus, can it also be routed to the stereo output and an aux send at the same time or does one routing or another take precedence. No answer to that in the manual. Thanx for your input. I will get this worked out.

We sort of gave up really when you started talking about plugging the guitar directly into the HD24 - it's not how it's supposed to work. Your first post I think we all nodded at but couldn't work out why it wasn't working. The work flow should be totally simple - you seemed to have a handle on how it works, but clearly if 1-12 work then 13 is a problem, then something unusual is happening because the routing is in blocks of 8, so most common troubles are on channel 9 and 17 - crossing the 8/16 barriers. For yours to stop at 12 suggests there is something else happening here. Is the problem with signals going to the recorder, or from it? Can you take a project with music on ALL 24 and then get those individually on the mixer? That proves it's NOT a playback or monitoring issue. IS the simple stuff working right? Can you use just one light pipe from the mixer and see less moving on the first block, then by moving inputs on the HD24, can you see the 1-8 appear on 9-16 and then 17-24? That proves the inputs are working normally. Can you then send via light pipe to 1-8, 9-16 and 17-24 from mixer outs 1-8, 9-16 and 17-24. At some point it won't work. This lets you know what physical connections are working. The you can fiddle with folk cafe's routing screen and move away from a 1:1 setup. I'm wondering of you're just trying everything but in a bit of a random manner. Maybe a quick YouTube video? So we can see what you're doing and maybe say hang on - at 2:14, why did you push X or route Z?

Clearly, something is adrift, but your approach so far has been very difficult to follow. A video might really help - but it needs to show the connections, the screens, the settings etc etc
I cannot use any of the channels while coming into the board without having the same problem. I am seventy and not up things like I was when younger. I don't even carry a cell phone. I am pretty sure this is a routing problem like folk cafe outlined and I have to dig deeper into that. This is the first time I have used a digital board. When we were recording, the bass player, (Jimmy Eppard, google him) who has extensive knowledge in audio engineering did all the engineering. He showed me how to use all the dynamics, fx, pans, eqs, etc. but we never went into the routing.

I went back down and spent over an hour going over the routing. I then reconfigured the light pipe setup. I had it as follow. 1-8 from HD24 to Card 1 on the 02R.
9-16 from HD24 to card 3, and 17-24 to card 3.
Since card 1 on the 02R is dedicated to digital I/O, I plugged that to the 17-24 I/O on the HD24. I plugged 1-8
into card 3 and 1-9 into card four. I can now plug into channel 17 on the board, see,hear and record my incoming signal while monitoring my first sixteen channels.
Any channel below channel 17 I still could not send a signal to the HD24 nor hear it in the headphones or see it on the meter bridge although I could see it at the channel input indicator light.

In the following screenshot from the manual my setup is as follow now.
02R
I/0 mic 1-8 is set to card 3, I/O mic 9-16 is set to card 4, Lines 17-24 are set to internal analog.

HD24
I/Os 1-8 to card 3, 9-16 to card 4, 17-24 to card 1

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 10-42-56 Input Signal Select - Yamaha 02R Owner's Manual Page 266.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 10-42-56 Input Signal Select - Yamaha 02R Owner's Manual Page 266.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back