HD24 upgrade from Tascam 788

hasbeen said:
I am using it at the default setting for 24 tracks, which is 48 (i think). Even using all 24 tracks, the upgrade sounds better...

I'm gonna look into getting the upgrade..I could use just a bit more clearity..A inch to get a mile as it were..Thanks man :)

I have been using a HD24 with a Yamaha O2R digital mixer for some time now, and it works great for me. It's not a complicated setup. I have adat cards in my mixer so it's pretty basic - setup wise. I sometimes dump my tracks to my PC for editing, but I mainly mix with just the O2R.

I have the standard converters in my unit, and I use a (2) Mackie 1604 vlz's for patchbay and preamp purposes. One day I plan to invest in a better preamp and I'm sure it will help my sound, but I'm satisfied for now.

Thanks for all the great comments. I finally did it and went out today and purchased the HD24 and the Masterlink. Havent got everything set up yet, but am looking forward to it... My local Guitar Center matched the best web price I found and ate the tax... So I just picked it up locally.. I was also surprised that the HD24 came with a 40GB drive.

So I guess I am off to a good start... I will keep you posted on how things proceed.

Thanks again for all the good advise..

Jim Pratt

Bummer Masterlink DOA

Well, today when I finally got around to hooking up the Masterlink, at power on, nothing happened, except I could hear the clink clink, of what sounds like a failed hard drive. I turned the masterlink off, then back on and it briefly booted, long enough for me to go to the option menu and see it did have OS 2.18 ... THen turning the Masterlink back off, leaving it for a while, then turning it back on, lights on the front panel, but nothing in the display...

Well, looks like Guitar Center is going to need to order me a new masterlink....

I guess now I am going to give the HD24 a good workout to make sure nothing is wrong with that piece. Having worked in the computer industry for the last 20 years, it is not too surprising to have a unit with a failed/marginal HD .. would of been nice to avoid this though...

Anyway I will wait for a new masterlink from my local guitar center and see what happens..

Jim Pratt said:
Well, today when I finally got around to hooking up the Masterlink, at power on, nothing happened, except I could hear the clink clink, of what sounds like a failed hard drive. I turned the masterlink off, then back on and it briefly booted, long enough for me to go to the option menu and see it did have OS 2.18 ... THen turning the Masterlink back off, leaving it for a while, then turning it back on, lights on the front panel, but nothing in the display...

Well, looks like Guitar Center is going to need to order me a new masterlink....

I guess now I am going to give the HD24 a good workout to make sure nothing is wrong with that piece. Having worked in the computer industry for the last 20 years, it is not too surprising to have a unit with a failed/marginal HD .. would of been nice to avoid this though...

Anyway I will wait for a new masterlink from my local guitar center and see what happens..

This is unfriggingforgivable. I would raise a stink down there and demand some free cables (trs snakes) or something....

Jim Pratt said:

Wow.. that does absolutely stink. First I've heard of that problem, but then again... I don't really know a whole heck of a lot of people with a Masterlink :p So far - in relative light use - mines been working out fine. Though I haven't done much recording on mine - and have yet to burn a disk. Just a lot of CD playing while I work in it and other equipment.

Best of luck with the new one - let us know how it works out.

-Krag

kragbax said:
Wow.. that does absolutely stink. First I've heard of that problem, but then again... I don't really know a whole heck of a lot of people with a Masterlink :p So far - in relative light use - mines been working out fine. Though I haven't done much recording on mine - and have yet to burn a disk. Just a lot of CD playing while I work in it and other equipment.

Best of luck with the new one - let us know how it works out.

-Krag
Well I have to give it to the Guitar Center folks... They have already found me another new Masterlink in one of their other stores in Ca, and it should be ready for pickup tomorrow. I didnt even raise a stink, and the guy I dealt with was off the last two days. Others in the store picked up the slack and got one in for me... So I am happy (assuming the new Masterlink works fine) and have already started recording some guitar tracks.... I guess my AT4040 is too sensitive, as in my last recording I could hear the dog from next door barking (and I live on about 3/4 an acre)... So maybe soundproofing might be next (I might be pushing it, my wife, also a musican, has turned over the formal living room for a music room)... I will let you know how the new masterlink works out...

Jim

Back