HD24 Sound Quality

eh91311

recordist
Hi. To all those out there using the HD24 hard disk ADAT, have you noticed a huge improvement in sound when using the HD24 as compared to the 20-bit models? My band recently recorded a project CD on a HD24 and at 24/44.1 I noticed an improved low end response compared to my XT20's (at 20/48), but not much difference in sound in the treble. To me, the new HD24 models have better sound overall, but they still sound like ADATs.

Any opinions?

eh91311 said:
To me, the new HD24 models have better sound overall, but they still sound like ADATs.
Dunno - what do YOU think ADATs sound like?

I use the HD24 and I find the sound quality excellent......... mind you, I got excellent results with XT20s in the past too...........

All of the different ADAT recorders have a certain, unique sound to them. Blackfaces have one sound, XT20's their own sound.
Anyone who has used more than one type of ADAT recorder can determine the differences.

My question is, is the HD24 a vast improvement in sound over the XT20 or is the improved sound more subtle?

All of the different ADAT recorders have a certain, unique sound to them. Blackfaces have one sound, XT20's their own sound.
Anyone who has used more than one type of ADAT recorder can determine the differences.

My question is, is the HD24 a vast improvement in sound over the XT20 or is the improvement more subtle?

On their own, they don't sound radiclly different than the 20 bit ADATs I used for years. But once I started clocking it with a Lucid GenX6 I feel it sounded much better (tighter, more focused).

Track Rat,
Do you have other equipment that you clock together with the hd24? Would there be a benefit if the hd24 is the only piece that needs clocking as opposed to using the internal clock?

From a technical perspective, the convertes on the HD24 are substantially better, so I'd say there's an improvement.... but the XT20 sound was already quite good (especially clocked with a Lucid), so whether the difference is subtle or not will depend on what you were used to.

When I converted to the HD24 from XT20s, I didn't notice a HUGE difference - maybe a slightly smoother, more tightly focused sound....

I recommend clocking with high-quality clock, regardless of which ADAT you use....

I have a MOTU 2408 mkII and a DBX 386 all clocked with the Lucid but even if the HD was the only thing I had, I'd still use it. Just my opinion but I can hear the difference between the Lucid clock and the internal clock.

eh91311 said:
My band recently recorded a project CD on a HD24 and at 24/44.1 I noticed an improved low end response compared to my XT20's (at 20/48), but not much difference in sound in the treble. To me, the new HD24 models have better sound overall, but they still sound like ADATs.

Any opinions?

Try using the HD24 at 24/48.

Back