HD24 Punch in.

GBorsuk

Ok, new to HD24 (only had it a week) I am at a loss as how to punch in a track while the record/play is in place.
On my old XT20's i just armed the track at the point i wanted (ie wanted to get rid of some misc recoreded sound on a track between parts.
I know i can do it wiht the auto punch and the locate points, but thats not what i am looking for.
How do you do it? I have a BRC and i have the LRC and I have a foot switch. The manual has nothing in it other than Yes you can do it.. but how???

Frustrated!!

Thanks for the help in advance...

:confused:

Punch in button is right on the LRC, or you can use the punch in footpedal (see rear for hook up). Make sure the machine is configured to play back the punch in the manner that you want it to. There are a few options you have to tweak with in the global menus.

Bus how do you set the track to record it? If i set it before play/record i erase everything.

I'm missing something simple i know. but i cant figure it out. I want the ability like i had in the XT20 adat i guess.

Thanks

GBorsuk said:
Bus how do you set the track to record it? If i set it before play/record i erase everything.

I'm missing something simple i know. but i cant figure it out. I want the ability like i had in the XT20 adat i guess.

Thanks

You can't work like that on the HD24.

Tgs is right, the HD24 will not allow you to punch-in on the fly. You will have to set In & Out points using Locate point 21 & 22.

Are you sure about this?

I am 99% sure that you can...

Enable the track (select the track)... press PLAY only...

When you are ready to punch, hold down the record and press play again...

When exiting the record mode press PLAY

The machine will keep playing, but will only go into record mode when you press the play and record together.

In fact now that I am thinking through it, I know it can do that... I do it all the time.

Velvet Elvis

Elvis is right

Press and hold the play button

When punch in spot comes hit record while still holding play

Release Play

Hit play to punch out.

It would be stupid to leave out a feature as basic as that.

Velvet Elvis said:
Are you sure about this?

I am 99% sure that you can...

Enable the track (select the track)... press PLAY only...

When you are ready to punch, hold down the record and press play again...

When exiting the record mode press PLAY

The machine will keep playing, but will only go into record mode when you press the play and record together.

In fact now that I am thinking through it, I know it can do that... I do it all the time.

Velvet Elvis

Of course but that is not at all what he asked for (as I understood it). He wants to put the machine in record, then use the record enable buttons to punch in. This cannot be done in this order.

tgs said:
Of course but that is not at all what he asked for (as I understood it). He wants to put the machine in record, then use the record enable buttons to punch in. This cannot be done in this order.

He asked how to punch in. We told him how. Whether or not made an incorrect statement as how to do that doesn't mean that's not what he wants to do.

The HD24 will not brew you a cup of coffee either, doesn't mean you can't punch in. :D

He mentioned using locate points and autopunch to do what he was talking about... and you can't do individual tracks with either of those either, so I'm not sure that's what was being asked.

Needless to say... he wants music to be playing... then he wants to be able to decide when a track is enabled to record. What I described does exactly that.

There really isn't any difference other than you can't have OTHER tracks recording in the meantime (which you cannot do with the autopunch or locate points either).

Velvet Elvis

HangDawg said:
He asked how to punch in. We told him how. Whether or not made an incorrect statement as how to do that doesn't mean that's not what he wants to do.

The HD24 will not brew you a cup of coffee either, doesn't mean you can't punch in. :D

Apparently you don't see the advantage of one method over the other. Putting a machine into record without any tracks armed means that you can flip on the record enable on whichever track you wanted for whatever period you want. If you want to erase track 1 at 1:00 to 2:00, and erase track 2 at 1:30 to 1:40, you could do this in one go, had it been possible to do punches in this order.
Since this DOESN'T work, you will have to take care of track 1 first, rewind, and then take care of track 2. Easy as it seems, it does indeed consume more time. All for the lack of a very simple function.

If anyone is still under the impression that the guy was asking about how to do regular punch-ins 'on-the-fly', let me refresh your (apparently abundant) memories:
"On my old XT20's i just armed the track at the point i wanted"
Seems pretty clear what it is he wants, ey? Nobody (and certainly not I!!) ever said you can't punch in. I just explained that it can't be done with the rec-enable buttons.

Morons.

I know EXACTLY what the advantage is, but by this statement (see below) GBorsuk did NOT make it clear which he was trying to do:

GBorsuk said:
I know i can do it wiht the auto punch and the locate points, but thats not what i am looking for.
How do you do it? I have a BRC and i have the LRC and I have a foot switch. The manual has nothing in it other than Yes you can do it.. but how???

You can't do THAT with auto punch and locate points, as they STILL only handle to currently armed tracks and cannot add/subtract tracks on the fly.

So GBorsuk might or might NOT be talking about what you mentioned.

There's only one thing worse than a 'moron' as you so eloquently put it... is a self-righteous moron who thinks they hold infinite wisdom.

We were trying to help the guy out and since HE has not responded... and I'm pretty sure he didn't appoint you his personal spokesperson... why don't you back off with calling people names and gain some respect around here by writing a few more than 27 posts before you start bashing others.

Velvet Elvis

tgs said:
Apparently you don't see the advantage of one method over the other. Putting a machine into record without any tracks armed means that you can flip on the record enable on whichever track you wanted for whatever period you want. If you want to erase track 1 at 1:00 to 2:00, and erase track 2 at 1:30 to 1:40, you could do this in one go, had it been possible to do punches in this order.
Since this DOESN'T work, you will have to take care of track 1 first, rewind, and then take care of track 2. Easy as it seems, it does indeed consume more time. All for the lack of a very simple function.

If anyone is still under the impression that the guy was asking about how to do regular punch-ins 'on-the-fly', let me refresh your (apparently abundant) memories:
"On my old XT20's i just armed the track at the point i wanted"
Seems pretty clear what it is he wants, ey? Nobody (and certainly not I!!) ever said you can't punch in. I just explained that it can't be done with the rec-enable buttons.

Morons.

I wouldn't have ASSUMED that he wanted to do this. Why you ask. Because there is a very clear message that says "NO TRACKS ARMED FOR RECORD" if you hit record/play without any tracks armed. Seems pretty straight forward to me. So, WE ASSUMED he was talking about normal punch ins without locate points.

MORON :p

"On my old XT20's i just ARMED THE TRACK AT THE POINT I WANTED"

In how many ways can one interpret this!?

As for the "Moron" remark; it's simply because I've seen so many strange 'advice' from people here where they generally have missed the issue to begin with. I realise that people are trying to help. Heck, that is the sole purpose of this forum I guess. But I can't see it as helping when people apparently doesnt GET IT in the first place, and start giving strange advice to non-existant problems.
So bash me all you want for stating the obvious. Some people have many qualities. For some of them, helping out in a resourceful way apparently isn't one of them.
(And just for the record: I DID indeed post a reply that indeed had fundamental significance in this issue; thus, I did my creative part)

I can't believe you guys are still arguing over what is basically minutia. Who cares what the guy meant, take a pill and get on with your lives.

Back